Thread: Trip Report – Yakutat – 8/13-8/16

Default Trip Report – Yakutat – 8/13-8/16

We made our first trip to Yakutat this year and it is really a beautiful place. Of course there hasn’t been any place in Alaska that I’ve been to that isn’t beautiful. In addition, the fishing was great. We lucked out with great timing for both the weather and the fishing. It was clear enough two days to see Mount Elias.

The silvers were just starting to get thick in the bay and we limited out the two days we fished salmon in about 3 hours. The halibut fishing was outstanding. There was one issue and that was the spiny dogfish. We had a hard time getting away from them. The first day, even with several moves, we still caught over 25. Switching to salmon heads for bait cut down on the dogfish bites and produced a matching pair of 60” butts for the girls. Biggest fish of their life for both of them. The last day I managed to jig up a 90 and a 70 pounder on a light jigging rod with an Avet MXL. Sweet set up.

We fished with Scott Chadwick on the Seawolf. Scott is a great captain and the Seawolf is an awesome fishing platform, 33 X 11 with a comfortable cabin and walk around design. We took a half day to see the Hubbard Glacier and weaving through the ice and getting up to the glacier is difficult to describe. It is truly breath taking.

The toughest part of the trip for us is getting there. It’s a 2 day trip from Texas, coming and going.

Attached are a picture from the last day along with the glacier. I'll add a couple more pictures
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default A couple more pictures

Mount St. Elias and part off last days catch
    DSCF2647.c.JPGDSCF2446.c.JPG
    Last edited by Alan Sloka; 08-23-2011 at 22:04. Reason: dup pic

Looks like ya'll had a great time!

Looks like you had a great time, thanks for sharing. Scott has been absolutely great every time I've been out with him. He's put us into lots of fish and his Seawolf is a great boat to go out on.

Great report...that place is awesome! thanks for sharing the photos...looks like all your fishing was saltwater?
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

Smile

Nice report and pictures. Thank you for sharing this. And ain't that the truth..."Of course there hasn’t been any place in Alaska that I’ve been to that isn’t beautiful."