Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Racks I like to stare at :D

Default The Racks I like to stare at :D

How have ya been?

Been busy myself,July and August whizzing buy in a series of small 1-3 "nights" or locally known as "Sleeps" due to the sun never setting till mid July. So lotsa campin' out, but with 24 hour sun recently leaving us till next May, we really do have night again, stars, Moon and Darkness have decended apon this end of the world. I figured with my improved internet I would share pictures, and if it really is that good, some vids as well....

So here go's

So the Oldest Daughter Tin tanned, cut, sewed and wore her own caribou Parka at Kotzebue's 4th of July "Miss Arctic Teen" and took second

Mammoth hunting went along well and contenues....some folks have had great luck, and some gots none.....

As well as the fishing's been pretty hot, though were waiting to get more as were outta space at the moment......

Camping weathers been goo too, 'cept the rain all the long day.
    Just dry up in the night wind and fire

Some days were perfect....

Gathering greens and berrys has been lucrative this summer, my daughter took a trip to San Francisco with 700$ spending $$ in blueberry picking and sales ~~LOL!!~~

Hunting has been very good too. Some Caribou for drying, some were fat enough to eat right away and freeze for later. What we couldnt give or trade we dryed and its 1/2 gone now. Maby a bit strong for southern palates, but hot weather Caribou meats ferment a bit and as long as they are aired properly, they become a 'melt in yer mouth" kina meats.
    Im out for skins to make Parkas and such from. The short hairs are ideal for clothing, so I get then "NOW!!!" while I can as the hairs are a growing with each passing day.

Took some friends out a time or two as well.......

This timma year is perfect for the getting bellys of white so the ladys can use them to great effect on clothing decoration's.

And the women just do their thang....

[img]://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g71/edwardhailstone/IMGP0931.jpg[/img]

Sinews

Bears, Musk Ox, Sheep and such, on the left, with newly caught Parka Skins all dry'd and awaitin' tanning on the right.

With the skin a a baby Ring Seal my 14 year old daughter clubber to death on the seaside after stalking it while it slept She cut off the pelt, froze it for her mom, render'd the blubber into oil and dryed/froze the meats while babysitting for her oldest brother in his seaside village , Iím very proud

She also brought home her share for butchering of Beluga whale, and that boiled to egg like softness, eaten with dryed Caribou and mustard, Blue berrys and tea, its a very healthy way to go.

Gotta gas up and watch the weather, I think I don't have enough Caribou.........yet........~~LOL!!!~~

This was all brought to me by hard work, sweat and an Finn M-39, shooting Czeck lightball 7.62X54r FMJ's
    Last edited by Brian M; 08-26-2011 at 11:16.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Great read and as always you are truly blessed. Keep us posted on your future adventures... Would love to gang with you for one week

As I sit here eating a plate of salmon, all I can think is, Gotta Love Alaska!

Those are fine racks indeed!!! You sir, have an obvious thirst for life. Stay thirsty my friends

Thumbs up contest prize

Quote Originally Posted by 323 View Post
    Great read and as always you are truly blessed. Keep us posted on your future adventures... Would love to gang with you for one week
    I can see it now.... Grand prize for some TV reality show's nationwide contest is "hangin' with the Stranger" for a week, learnin' the ways of the wild....

Heck, the reality show should pay you thousands for that week of putting up with a city boy, unless a politician wins it - 'cause you know they spend a minimum of 5 figures going and "filling their freezer".

Great post and pics Stranger.

Man, just awesome! Mammoth tusk finds would a sight to see!! Good hunting to ya on the bou.

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyMan View Post
    I can see it now.... Grand prize for some TV reality show's nationwide contest is "hangin' with the Stranger" for a week, learnin' the ways of the wild....

Heck, the reality show should pay you thousands for that week of putting up with a city boy, unless a politician wins it - 'cause you know they spend a minimum of 5 figures going and "filling their freezer".

Great post and pics Stranger.
    Im not sure a politician would get that far away from a feed troff!

I do agree it would make one of the better "reality" shows. I'd pay to see some soft bellied L48'er trying to keep up with stranger.

Just my nickel
    (as a soft bellied upper one'er)
    Drew
    Normal people believe that if something ain't broke, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet.

Scott Adams

Great pics and story. Boy, that is a different lifestyle to be sure. Wonder how my stomach would handle some of that exotic table fare?
    I really appreciate your postings!!

As always, thanks for sharing.
    BK

Always enjoy your posts, Stranger. Keep em coming!

Another great post and love those pictures. You took a picture of drying sinew. How is that going to be used? I am thinking sinew is for sewing but not sure. Keep up the good work and go Mosin.

As most of your post, They truely are unique. It is neat seeing tradition being passed on. And by your post it gives us a glimpse at it a post at a time. I have a 3 year old girl and she is a pistol. I can't imagine 5 girls, I feel for you. Cool finds on the mamouth. Thanks for sharing

Fantastic, what a way of life. I love those pics.

Great pictures! I really enjoy your posts, Stranger

Chip,

Wish you could have posted that all here. Man those are some great photos and really shows the lifestyle. Great family you have, and applaud you and your wife teaching them the skills and know-how to carry on such a fine tradition of subsistence living.

Also gotta love the pistol cleaning session pic <grin>!

Keep on keeping on,

Glad you fella's like 'em.

Its been difficult to getthe internet, but it looks like the tellafone idjits may have done some work, well see.........~~LOL!!~~

Good news is the wife and I contenue the persuit as soon as the winds die, maby a sleep or two, maby a day trip, theres a large # of Caribou along the coast, so its off to salt water for another look

The Sinews are for threads and cordage, as a lot of local artists and skin sew'rs are a lookin'.

The mammoth is not at all uncommon. The stuff is fresh from the salt water ocean, it drops in with the melting slush and oozing muds, and is gently washed by the lapping waves. I trade it off for gasoline, or such. That was from a few weeks back, but chunks of bone and such I give away or trade too. Found some quite large Whale bonz down the coast, so I have something to pick up this winter , like 17 foot long jaw bonz Great for carving allright.

Great picts Stranger, Thanks for sharing... looking forward to some more soon...

Quote Originally Posted by bushrat View Post
    Chip,

Wish you could have posted that all here. Man those are some great photos and really shows the lifestyle. Great family you have, and applaud you and your wife teaching them the skills and know-how to carry on such a fine tradition of subsistence living.

Also gotta love the pistol cleaning session pic <grin>!

Keep on keeping on,

yes the pistol cleaning session what a great photo. question for me is was there pic's of sheefish in there? what were those ones in the boat i think?
    edit signature here

Great post, loved the pics! Stuff like this is one reason I really do like poking around on this forum. Can't say I'm a fan of all those fingers all over the triggers, but it's not my business to worry about yours!
    "If I could shoot a game bird and still not hurt it, the way I can take a trout on a fly and release it, I doubt if I would kill another one." George Bird Evans

Them fish pictured are Shee Fish, Chum Salmon, Roundnosed Whitefish and a King, black lips, golden eys and all That all lasted in spurts and short sets where the fish clogged the net and she removed it as she checked it. dry breezy weather is best and we had a couple weeks of heavy rain, so getting on with other stuff ruled then.

With the rains tapering off and bugs deminishinbg, a few days of set net and well have a great ammount of Salmon dryed and 1/2 dryed, salted , smoked and frozen. The Sheefish we can chase all year, and we preferr them dry or fresh

The finger on the triggers were quite intentional as I snapped the picture as they snapped their now clean pistols and function tested them. One big "CLICK" ~~LOL!!~~

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast