Thread: Average distance for your shots

Default Average distance for your shots

I started hunting Alaska in 1965. I am thinking back on the shots my friends, family and I have taken and what the average distance was for the shot on about 40 animals that come to mind. These are moose, caribou, sheep and bears that were shot with to many different calibers to mention and a variety of bullets in different weights. For us the average distance is under 150 yards. Just the way it has worked out. I am really curious how far the average shot has been for most of you. Thanks for sharing and have a great hunting season.

I'd say 100 to 150 is about right for me. I did take a follow up shot on a sheep at about 325. The shot wasn't necessary because the sheep was mortally wounded but since he was still standing I put another one in him just to put him out of his misery quicker.

Default Shots

Average about 165 yards, never over 235.

Wink

About 18 yards, these are almost all bow kills in my home state NY which represent the lions share of my hunting. I'm always in the thick stuff hence the close shots. Shotgun/ muzzleloader season 30 yards, firearms 50 yards.Bill
    ; for them that honour me I will honour, and they that despise me shall be lightly esteemed. 1 SAMUEL 2;30

All my hunting is with a bow, ducks, geese, moose, carabou, bears, average shot is about 15 - 20 yards.

Default average shot

50-75 yards, probably closer to 50. That's rifle hunting for deer. This year one was about 100 yds, one about 25 yds, the other two about 40. Some years the average is farther, some years closer, but 50 to 75 yds is probably the long term ave if not closer. Last year the average was probably closer to 100 yds, the year before under 50. Depends if I'm hunting high alpine or low timber. I don't take first shots over 150 yds, rarely over 100. And longer followup shots are only on wounded animals. Haven't made one of those in a long time because of my first shot rule.

For moose I've taken two, both at about 75 yds. Elk I've taken two, both between 100 and 125 yds. One goat at about 100 yds.

almost always at less than 150 yards. normally way less. i haven't lived in AK long enough for decent rates on large critters here, but most of my whitetails were in the 25 yards or less range.

I've taken big game with a rifle from about 20 yards to about 400 yards. I try to get close, and don't take a shot unless I'm sure of it. One time, though I was sure it was 400(several yaers ago; first shot at caribou--I thought they were elk-sized and he had a huge rack) and turned out to be around 250...clean miss. Since that, I use a rangefinder to really be sure. I'm not above passing up a shot if it's too far or I'm not steady, or if I'm not sure of my rifle at that range. My .25-06 and .270, I'm absolutely sure of where I'm hitting out to 400. 7X57 and .338 to 300, .45-70 and Encore pistol 7mm-08, I'm not comfortable over 100 yet. .22-250, I'll take a 500+ yard shot at varmints, but I don't use it for big game.

Average for big game including, CO, WY and AK is probably about 200 yards.

Bethel, Cantwell, Fort Yukon, Skagway, Chevak and Point Hope

I would guesstimate over a 45 year period it would be 175. Closest was at 5 yards on a Sitka Blacktail and the furthest was 467 yards on a Caribou.

Mark

Funny how so many cite a similar distance.

I'd say the average range I've shot (and been on site with other's shooting) it's been between 100 and 150 yards.

Call the average 125 yards.

The longest shot in Alaska I've accomplished on big game in Alaska was about 500 yards. It was a caribou in wide open country, and with a .243. It worked well, but now I use a .300 WM on caribou. I've never had a shot that long again, but I wouldn't hesitate to take one.

I've sat and killed ground squirrels in California at ranges at or longer than 500 yards with tuned up .22 calibers. Head shots as they sat half out of their tunnels. It was great fun.

Moose and bear shots tend to be close.

Here in Alaska nere had to stretch out more than 100 yards. Most of the areas I hunt are thick so for moose I'd say the average shot is about 60yards. I'm proficiant at the range to 300 and if the opertunity arose I'd take a 250 yard shot, I would want some time on a longer range before shooting farther in the feild.

the range would be for non-birds 10 yards to just under 450 yards for the longest on one time when everything was just right. Average would be somewhere around 150.

Less than a hundred yards.

Default Average shot range

I would say that 80% of my animals were shot at 85 yards, ranging from 20 feet to 450 yards. Like to stay under 150 yards.

Terry