Thread: Winch Issue

Default Winch Issue

Ok, I will admit, my mechanical skills are limited especially with ATV's and Electrical issues are even lesser on my ability scale. SO, I'm seeking a little advise. I've got a 2005 Rubicon with a winch that I bought brand new at Anchorage Honda Dealer. Last year, my winch switch started to work at times, and other times not. We use it to plow with and once in a while, you would have to try several times to get the switch to work. Well, I'm home prepping my machines for up and coming moose season before I got to go back to work and now, my winch will not work at all. I ran the wire from the switch to the back of the machine and it comes to some kind of a junction box, then runs off back to the front to the winch. Any ideas on what I need to check, or know anyone handy in the Valley area that could take a look at it without waiting weeks to get it into a shop.

in the state seperated from the lower 48 by Canada

First check that the ground is solid....this means clean contact between the frame, bolt and ground wire. Installer may have used the battery for a ground.
    Next check to see if you have power at the switch.
    Is the fuse blown?
    Connections tight?
    Check where the power is tapped into power and if the winch has a switch control (ignition on/off) before it will operate.
    Not in the Valley

Quote Originally Posted by otternorth View Post
    First check that the ground is solid....this means clean contact between the frame, bolt and ground wire. Installer may have used the battery for a ground.
    Next check to see if you have power at the switch.
    Is the fuse blown?
    Connections tight?
    Check where the power is tapped into power and if the winch has a switch control (ignition on/off) before it will operate.
    Not in the Valley
    It has a fuse? Where would it be? LOL, I do know where the 710 cap is though. LOL

The box on the back is the solenoid when 12 volts are applied on the small wires from the switch it pulls in a coil which puts power on the larger wires going to the winch.

Things to check:
    1. See if you have 12v across the two small wires on the black solenoid box
    2. If you do not see power there you need to pull the switch apart and see if you have 12v to ground on any of the terminals. Also look for a small wire connected to the battery or the fuse box that has an inline fuse holder. One wire on the switch should have 12v to ground.
    3. If you’re getting power to the solenoid check the two larger wires that come from the battery and make sure they have 12v (Usually red and black)
    4. If you have 12v there and 12v on the small wires you have a bad solenoid (They go out all the time)

Sorry - Number 1 is wrong. You should have 12 volt to ground on one of the wires when you press the switch in and 12 volts to ground on the other wire when you press the switch to winch out

When you turn on the key, do you get an audible click (like a solenoid engaging)?
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    Bill Hicks

Also, which kind of switch do you have? If it is the rotary kind (looks round with two finger tabs, rotates about 1/4 turn either direction for in/out), they get corroded easily and the contacts need to be cleaned. It is a simple switch and easy to take apart. Best bet is to replace it with a toggle switch IMO....

AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

My switch is a push button rocker switch that says in/out. When I push the switch I get no noise what so ever. When I looked at the switch it looked like it was sealed. The solenoid (now I know what to call it) when I looked at it had a lot of dried mudd all over it. I didn't hose it down or clean it up since I really didn't know what I was looking at. Anyways, I am back to work now and will be a while before I get back to look at it. Only got 2 days home before I plan to head out with it. Still hoping to find someone knowledgeable to fix it for me for a reasonable price before I get home. Thanks Guys

If it's a standard warn wiring system I'll give you a handlebar switch/harness. I have no use for it

Thanks to all of your for your input. I spoke with Dan at the Warn warranty shop for Alaska which just so happens to be the Six States in Soldotna. He told me how to narrow it done which is easy enough to do. I just need to get home to do it. He said, Disconnect the winch and then take a spare battery, ground off the negative to the frame and then touch one end using a lead to any of the two posts on the winch. If it works, great. If not they rebuild them for an average of 75 bucks at both the anchorge and soldotna shops. Then he said to check the rocker ****ch, use a test light, ground one end and then touch inside the bullet connectors one at a time near the Contactor and hit the rocker switch. If they light up, its 100% the Contactor which is 95.00. He said they get moisture in them and most likely I got my moisture by plowing and then garaging my ATV in a warm Garage. Over time condensation/corrostion builds and shorts the Contactor. He said the 8 post contactors are under recall and the 4 post ones which I have are not. It looks all complicated to me as I am not an electrical man, but his instruction makes it easy. Should be an easy fix. Funny thing is, he said a new Warn Winch is only 329.00 The contactor is so small with less moving parts compared to everything else but carries 1/3 the cost. Funny how that is.

I wish you the best with your Warn, I've had nothing but issues with mine. I went through three in less than a season. The last one was only a month old and it quit. It has since been rebuilt and is sitting in a box at home. Should you need to replace yours I'll sell you a basically brand new 3000 XT cheaper than you can rebuild your current winch. No wiring or cable though. PM me.

Thanks Fishkill, I'll keep that in mind.

Make sure the power to the winch is to a keyed hot wire. Sounds like you're going through the solenoid for power which is not the best way to wire. That's why you're getting intermittent no "on".