Thread: Railings

Default Railings

Anyone have some pictures of railings? Or ideas, I need to put a railing up on the 2nd deck of my cabin as well as something on the first one...insurance things.

All made from the trees on the property.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    Bill Hicks

Nice Dirt. Alot of hours invested in that railing!

On our exterior, 2nd floor deck, we used 3/4" copper pipe cut to 22" long as ballasters. The top and bottom rails are treated 2x4 with 1" blind holes bored with a paddle drill. Preassemble an 8' section and screwed it up to 4x4 posts. The copper has patina'd nicely. With the current cost of copper, I dont know if it is still economical to do that way. But I think it looks nice and used up a bunch of extra copper pipe leftover from plumbing the house.

Sorry, no photo...

I do some fancy stuff occasionally, for insurance purposes
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

Not sure if the 3/4 copper pipe would count for insurance purposes, but it sure does look nice.

Chris

Default Started the railings

I got part of the railing done upstairs this past weekend. Any thoughts on using cedar for the verticle boards (slats). They are more money but most pine I'm finding looks terrible. The rest is pine, stained cedar.
    Attached Images Attached Images

What about winch cable ran horizontally? I saw a really nice house with it the other day. A friend used regular electrical conduit. It looks very nice.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    Bill Hicks

Where is your cabin. We sell the nicest pine in the valley...unfortunately it also costs the same as cedar.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Quote Originally Posted by dirtofak View Post
    What about winch cable ran horizontally? I saw a really nice house with it the other day. A friend used regular electrical conduit. It looks very nice.
    That looks like the 2nd floor. I wouldn't run anything horizontally (other than the top and bottom rails). Kids will climb it like a ladder, right up and possibly over.

Cabin is near Soldotna, I found a decent deal on 36" cedar for $1.44 each. I needed (or bought) 150 of them but I did a test sand and stain and it will look real good now I should sand and stain them all before taking them to the cabin. Hoping for sun.

Railings mostly done look very good I think.

Default Railings

Other pic of the railings

Quote Originally Posted by AKFishOn View Post
    I got part of the railing done upstairs this past weekend. Any thoughts on using cedar for the verticle boards (slats). They are more money but most pine I'm finding looks terrible. The rest is pine, stained cedar.
    Please define terrible looking pine! We are looking for some! We used to get most of our pine trim at Lowes and the best thing about it is that it was ugly, which when stained and put into place looks great! Lots of blueing in the pine.... Now all they carry is really nice looking stuff with smoothed edges.

I define terrible pine as warped and cracked. If it was just ugly that may be character, it is the warped and cracked stuff call terrible. BTW near Seattle now for work and it makes me sick the nice cedar they have a Home Depot and Lowes down here. 8 foot 2x6 is right at $5 (nice cedar too). 7/16th OSB is less than $6 here.