Thread: Halibut fishing? New legislation is being proposed that WILL affect you...

Angry Halibut fishing? New legislation is being proposed that WILL affect you...

Just got an interesting email from Fish Alaska magazine and thought I would share it here. The "forward link" at bottom of email is my permission to share it here. Sounds like even more limits on halibut fishing is on the table.

Dear Sportsman,

Please lend us your ear for a brief moment. New legislation is being proposed that WILL affect you.

What's happening?

In February of this year, about 35% of the halibut charter fleet in Alaska was eliminated by a federally mandated moratorium. Now, in addition to that, a Catch Sharing Plan has been submitted that will take away as much as 40% more of the available halibut quota from the sport fleet (a 70% reduction overall). Right now, recreational fishermen (that means you and me) are allowed two fish per day of any size. If the rule passes and you use the services of a guide, your daily limit will drop to one fish per day- and possibly even less, if the maximum size limit is enforced.

The share taken from sport fishing interests (again, you and me) is reallocated to the commercial share,meaning this proposed ruling does NOT conserve halibut. It would only redistribute fishing rights from individuals and charters to commercial fleets and fisheries.

Who cares?

This ruling should concern anyone who fishes for halibut in Alaska for their own personal enjoyment and use. In fact, all of us who live and work in Alaska and who care about the Alaskan economy should be incensed. This ruling will affect how we feed our families, it will change the nature and spending habits of tourists in Alaska and it has the potential to decimate an essential part of Alaska's fishing industry.

What are we going to do?

The public comment period of 45 days ends on September 6th, giving us little time to review the rule and organize a response, but we can still make our voices heard.

Learn. You can read the "Halibut Catch Sharing Plan" or visit the Alaska Charter Association, where you can print, fax or mail a sample comment letter.

Write. Address comments to: Glenn Merrill, NMFS, Attn: Ellen Sebastian. P.O. Box 21668, Juneau, AK 99802-1668 or Fax: 907-586-7557. In your letter, reference federal rule #0648-BA37 and ask them to support the status quo.

Letters must be received before the comment period ends September 6th.

Donate. You can make a donation through the ACA website linked above and contribute to the battle to preserve the recreational halibut fishery.

Reach out. Forward this to your friends who care about the sport fishing industry in Alaska and encourage them to take action.

You can also contact the following people to ask questions, make comments and fax or email letters:

Dr. Jane Lubchenco, NOAA Chief Administrator
    jane.lubchenco@noaa.gov

Rebecca Blank, Acting Secretary of Commerce
    http://www.commerce.gov/contact-us

Alaska residents: Governor Sean Parnell, Senator Lisa Murkowski, Senator Mark Begich, Rep. Don Young.
    Contact information at: www.electedlist.com/Alaska.html

Thank you for your time. At Fish Alaska Magazine, we take our responsibility to the sportfishing public very seriously. We feel it would be remiss of us if we did not bring these changes to your attention.

Sincerely,
    Fish Alaska Magazine
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

the new catch sharing plan allows quota to be transfered to the charter fleet and doesn't affect non chartered sport anglers or subsistence users which remain highest on the allocation pyramid.

Let me ask you something... if the kenai river is not meeting escapement for sockeye, shouldn't the sport limit be lowered? shouldn't the commercial limit be lowered? shouldn't the PU limit be lowered?

YUP

well with halibut the commercial limit was lowered drastically, don't you think the burden should be shared with the other commercial user group?
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Poor horse...can't we just stop beating this one??

Quote Originally Posted by Frostbitten View Post
    Poor horse...can't we just stop beating this one??
    The only good horse is a dead horse!!!!!
    They're easier to get into the BBQ when they're dead.

It's all about money and the commercial fleet will get what they want. How about the draggers? Nobody seems to want to address them and all the halibut they kill and let float off behind the boat.

This video in my opinion is something that if being addressed I don't know of.

http://tholepin.blogspot.com/2009/10...but-waste.html

Another one for ya

http://tholepin.blogspot.com/

I agree with this part the most. So if this does go down, as many suggest it will, please make an effort to hire a year-round resident Alaskan guide to minimize the effect this will have on our local economy.

"This ruling should concern anyone who fishes for halibut in Alaska for their own personal enjoyment and use. In fact, all of us who live and work in Alaska and who care about the Alaskan economy should be incensed. This ruling will affect how we feed our families, it will change the nature and spending habits of tourists in Alaska and it has the potential to decimate an essential part of Alaska's fishing industry."

So if I have a boat and go out with some friends we can still get two?

Here's another link to a write-up in the local paper. Same info....

http://peninsulaclarion.com/opinion/...and-an-outrage
    ~ Kristie~
    The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope. ~John Buchan