Thread: Grizzly and wolf hunting delta control use area

Default Grizzly and wolf hunting delta control use area

Getting ready to go with my sons who drew a sheep tag for the Gerstle Glacier area. Looking for info on the Grizzly Bear and wolf hunting there. Would appreciate any first hand knowledge We fly out on Sept 8th.

Jim B,
    ...have saw a half dozen griz, many black bears, and two white-ish wolves in that country in only two DCUA hunts, totaling about 12 or 13 hunt days. Another (reliable) friend saw a pack of seven mostly dark-ish wolves during one of the years I was back there, 2008 or 2009.
    Have saw grizz high above the brush line eating blue berries, and low within 1/2 mile of the white ice of Gerstle Glacier eating cranberries.
    Smallish bears with ragged pelts during my past early/mid Aug sheep hunts.....
    Have also saw a wolverine on two occasions during Aug hunts. Does the wolverine season open Sept 1st?

Starting your hunt, your sons ram hunt, on Sept 8th is really great thinking! Most hunters will be done and gone, and the rams you will be hunting will have just moved out of some of those unhuntable high, rough and terrible mountain crags. Some of the best rams to come out of the DCUA in recent years have been shot between Sept 10th and 20th in very accessable country that had already been hunted for some 30 previous days!

Thanks so much for the information. I'm almost 60 and I have lived here all my life and have never hunted up there. I'm very excited about this hunt. Talked with F&G in delta, he was pretty vague on the game population. We are flying in with Golden eagle out of Delta. I hope I hear from more hunters too.

I've hunted 6 out of the last ten years out of a camp about 10 miles from the Gerstle Glacier. That 10 miles and the fact we are moose hunting at a lower elevation probably makes this info only marginally relevant. We have taken two grizzly in those 6 years and have seen about half a dozen others. We frequently hear wolves, but have only spoted three. Not much in the way of black bears in the area we are hunting though. Good luck on the hunt.

Looks like AlaskaTrueAdventure said enough to get your heart racing. Good luck to all on your hunt. Can't wait to read the story! *hint hint*

I just hunted the DCUA a couple of weeks ago, successfully. I also flew in with Jim...can't go wrong with Golden Eagle. Flew with his son out of Kotzebue last year on a different successful sheep hunt. Highly recommend that family for any flying business you may have. Jim will put you in the right place for sure. I only hunted 5 days this year...planned for 12 but pulled the trigger a bit early . The only creatures we saw were a few caribou (dinky ones), sheep, and 2 baby black bears running along a rock slide above treeline. The terrain wasn't very user-friendly and the alders were out of control, but saw bear scat EVERYWHERE...some fresh and some not. Wasn't looking for wolves, and never saw a sign of them. Good luck to you and your son though!

Quote Originally Posted by snowbunny View Post
    I just hunted the DCUA a couple of weeks ago, successfully. I also flew in with Jim...can't go wrong with Golden Eagle. Flew with his son out of Kotzebue last year on a different successful sheep hunt.
    I don't recall reading those hunt stories..... jus sayin

Wish to thank every one who responded to my post, very encouraging! Hopefully We will have lots of pictures and a story to tell!!! Were thinking (dreaming) about a 48+ ram!!! 10" foot Grizzly, 5 beautiful Black wolves and one really big Wolverine!! lol