Thread: BOG Nelchina decisons

Default BOG Nelchina decisons

My take on the BOG decisions regarding the Nelchina caribou Tier II hunt:

BOG has to make some difficult decisions in order to show that ADF&G is capable of offering subsistance hunting to a degree that will satisfy the courts thus the means tested qualification requirements. IIRC, there will be meetings/hearings in 2008 regarding same with the intent being to eliminate the Federal Subsistance Hunt on the same herd IF ADF&G can show proficiency at managing this subsistance hunt.

Those that don't like the subsistance hunts, have a beef with the courts not with ADF&G.

Regardless of opinions on the State Tier II hunt, the Federal Hunt is really messy IMHO. Many of my neighbors are recent immigrants....not US citizens yet and only recently have moved to AK yet the BLM folks set up office here in Delta for two days each summer to provide locals with two caribou and one moose tag for the Fed area. This is WRONG!.....Many of you are born Alaskans but can't hunt the Fed area because you live in the wrong area of Alaska while a recent arriving foreigner qualifies.....DUH!

BOG has taken heat for several years over the Tier II hunt being a "big money" subsistance hunt with motor homes, track vehicles and other expensive toys. I'll take my hat off to the BOG guys for making the tough decisions regardless of the heat. Many of these issues have been under consideration for years and they now feel they have the right members on the BOG and the Governor's support to move in the right direction.

Those that feel the Tier II hunt is a travesty, may want to brace themselves for further disappointment as the number of hunters and their equipment encroaches further on a deminishing number of game animals. Further restrictions on ORVs is inevitable.

Default Fed hunt

Quote Originally Posted by VernAK View Post
    . IIRC, there will be meetings/hearings in 2008 regarding same with the intent being to eliminate the Federal Subsistance Hunt on the same herd IF ADF&G can show proficiency at managing this subsistance hunt.
    Where did you get that info? It takes a decision by the Fed Subsistence Board to change fed regs. As long as the Nelchina herd numbers are low, I would have a hard time believing the Fed Board would eliminate the Fed hunt. I.E.......as long as Nelchina bou are tier 2 at the state level, the fed land will remain with a fed season open only to folks who live in the area.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by VernAK View Post
    My take on the BOG decisions regarding the Nelchina caribou Tier II hunt:

BOG has to make some difficult decisions in order to show that ADF&G is capable of offering subsistance hunting to a degree that will satisfy the courts thus the means tested qualification requirements. IIRC, there will be meetings/hearings in 2008 regarding same with the intent being to eliminate the Federal Subsistance Hunt on the same herd IF ADF&G can show proficiency at managing this subsistance hunt.
    1) The Federal requirements in ANILCA have absolutely nothing to do with income levels; it's "rural" and "rural" alone, and the courts have repeatedly pointed that out in various rulings

2) This income decision in no way shows "proficiency at managing this subsistance hunt."

3) There is absolutely, positively no way to reconcile Title VIII of ANILCA with Article 8, Section 3 of the Alaska Constitution, and several rulings in both State Supreme Court and Federal Courts have made that perfectly clear. That is why there have been pressure plays in the past to try to force the Legislature to amend the state constitution.

Those that don't like the subsistance hunts, have a beef with the courts not with ADF&G.
    My beef is with the Congress of 1980 (and their environmental zealot leash handlers) who violated the Alaska Constitution (ratified by the Congress of 1956), and then the federal judges (proven environmental kooks) who enforce the travesty.

BOG has taken heat for several years over the Tier II hunt being a "big money" subsistance hunt with motor homes, track vehicles and other expensive toys.
    And that is precisely why the Board did what they did, and the funny thing is that many of the people who were crying about the "rich boys" find that the Board considers them too rich to hunt, too.

Those that feel the Tier II hunt is a travesty, may want to brace themselves for further disappointment as the number of hunters and their equipment encroaches further on a deminishing number of game animals. Further restrictions on ORVs is inevitable.
    The Nelchina herd is at or near the density goal. The game isn't dwindling. The number of hunters is going up.

And the same vehicles that were used for decades before Honda ever thought about building 3-wheelers just got banned from the area.

Pilots got banned from the Innoko and Koyukuk Rivers in the 1970s and 80s, and not because moose numbers were going down. Those are among the highest moose densities in the state.

They got banned because people were whining and crying, and the regulators got tired of the pressure.

It's the squeaky wheel syndrome................

"BOG has taken heat for several years over the Tier II hunt being a "big money" subsistance hunt with motor homes, track vehicles and other expensive toys. I'll take my hat off to the BOG guys for making the tough decisions regardless of the heat. Many of these issues have been under consideration for years and they now feel they have the right members on the BOG and the Governor's support to move in the right direction."

In reality, the board no longer thinks this is a subsistence hunt, hasn't been, won't ever be again. It should be phased out as a subsistence hunt one way or another. When we get down to the horse and buggy level, you come talk to me ok?
    Income, what you have, or don't should not be a deciding factor in game management. Very dangerous!

Kurt

The bitter irony in this mess we call Nelchina is the fix is so very easy yet unconstitutional (as I understand it)

-Manage tag allocation based on Zip Code of physical residence. The closer you live to the resource, the higher your priority for a tag(s)