Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Taking a cow with a calf?

Default Taking a cow with a calf?

I have a cow moose tag in a unit that has no restrictions on taking a cow with a calf. Is the thought of taking a cow with a calf completely out of the question?

I'd pass every time myself. I don't see the need or justification for it honestly. But some people are desperate to get a kill though.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    I'd pass every time myself. I don't see the need or justification for it honestly. But some people are desperate to get a kill though.
    Perhaps, but depending on the motivation/situation leading to their despiration to get a kill, maybe it's ok. To each his own, just be prepared to live with your decision.

Same here I would pass all day... If you do I would not even think about posting a hunt story...

If you take the mother the calf will have even smaller chances of maturing.

Less moose to hunt later on.

pass.......

Even if I was real hungry I would pass if its a this years calf. If it were a case where you could take both and be legal and I lived in the bush where all would be used then yes
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Several years ago, I asked Fish&Game about taking a cow with a calf. At that time we were told that the chances of the calf surviving were actually better without the cow. That come winter the calf and the cow would be completing for the same food source, with the cow being able to eat the lower items and the calf not being able to reach as high as the cow later in the winter. F&G also thought that the calf would group with other calfs and have a better chance.
    Myself I would look for a barran cow first.

Keep looking for a dry cow.
    BK

Depending on legality and how much meat you need.....I'd shoot the calf. (as said, don't know about legality....probably a no no but moose veal sounds purty nice.) Considering that calf has less chance of making the winter than mom would,(or a barren cow), it would actually be the lesser effect on population potential.

Then again, momma moose may not take kindly to the situation.

I once had my rifle on a cow - just couldn't pull the trigger. That darn cow bell around it's neck wouldn't taste good anyway

If it were me, id take the first legal moose I came across, but thats only because I have a son that can only eat turkey, corn, and wild game due to eosinophilic esophagus disiese. Other then that I would look for one with a second year calf or one thats barren.

I can only imagine a unit that allowed the taking of a cow with a calf is looking for drastic population reductions of moose.

I'm curious which area this is in?

What area is your tag for?

I would believe that you are killing two for one and would say that you should pass. I don't buy those statement about having a better chance without and competing for the same food source. There is nothing more dangerious than a mother moose. Without the mother the calf has NO chance of surviving a predator, with her there, the calf has a fighting chance. You could look at the other side of the coin and say that with the calf the mother also stand a better chance if the calf gets taken then the mother would survive to breed again.
    Semper Fi and God Bless

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Why is it that some draw areas post restrictions on taking a cow with calves, and some areas don't have said restrictions?

Quote Originally Posted by tboehm View Post
    I would believe that you are killing two for one and would say that you should pass. I don't buy those statement about having a better chance without and competing for the same food source. There is nothing more dangerious than a mother moose.
    Agreed. Ive made 2 trips into areas that I know are high on the predator rate, areas in which fish are not the primary source of food; an Ive spotted 3 sets of cows with twins.

Thanks everyone for the honest feedback. I really don't see myself taking a cow with a calf, I was just curious to see how everyone else felt about the situation which is rather clear.

For those that asked, all draw tags for antlerless moose in unit 14 have no restrictions of taking a cow with a calf.

If I have a tag for a cow I will shoot a cow and let the calf figure it out. Based on what has been posted here over and over again, F&G has a super mathmatical calculation which takes into account all kinds of variables and then spits out the number of permits. Who am I to disregard the all knowing F&G. If I have a cow permit and you have a cow permit and we see a cow with a calf. Step aside I'll blast it and not think twice about the calf.

If you have a unit 14 cow tag, I'll take you out myself and you'll have your pick!!

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast