Thread: 28 foot Raider

Default 28 foot Raider

I am looking at a used (2006) 28 foot Sea Raider cuddy with twin Yamaha 150's. Can anyone give me some input, good and bad, on this boat. I don't have a boat currently, and I want something I can take my family of 4 out in and feel comfortable for 2 or 3 days. I don't want to break the bank, but I want something sea worthy and reliable. Any information would be greatly appreciated. I have been considering a boat purchase for awhile and I want to make a good informed decision. I see they don't have self bailing decks, should that make me not even consider this boat? Thanks in advance.

After being married to the daughter of a marine surveyor for 15 years (and being a boat addict myself), I can say that having a self bailing deck on a sport boat is usually a negative drawback (lots of sinking damage cases). By ABYC standards for a recreational boats the scuppers on a self bailing deck must be at least 3.5" above the water line. What happens to most sinkers with self bailing decks is boats become overloaded with gear/fuel/ etc and then it doesn't take much rain or seas to come sloshing in and down she goes. A great compromise is to have the ability to close the scuppers (and those floating ball scuppers aren't that effective).

So in my view the self bailing deck isn't a draw back.

Sobie2

I would ask for a test run with full tanks and 4 people on board. That is a pretty big boat to be powered by twin 150's.
    Tennessee

Quote Originally Posted by Snowwolfe View Post
    I would ask for a test run with full tanks and 4 people on board. That is a pretty big boat to be powered by twin 150's.
    Good advice, and see if it will plane out on one motor (other raised). Deweys has for years sold the 26' Hewes standard with twin 115s, which I think are the min for that boat. I couldn't plane out on 1 motor; repowered to 150s, now I can, and my fuel consumption hasn't increased. I don't know the relative specs for the Raider 28.

Keep in mind additional hassles/costs with a wide load - I don't know if you'll have it, but most 28s I've heard of do.

I've heard the Raiders were a spinoff from Hewes, so expect similar construction/features. I love my Hewes, so I don't mean that as a negative. Deweys was selling Raiders for a while, don't know if they still are. You might run down there to pick their brains, have a look.

PM Maast, I think he has the same boat, maybe a 26. Don't know his power setup.

Good luck!

Chris

My dad has the same boat and he is thinking of selling it,We are gonna go out next weekend if you would like a test run.They are great boats and the 150's scoot them along just fine,there has been many trips loaded with six guys,a pile of dead deer,coolers full of fish pots full of shrimp and still had no problem getting on step hauling butt back to the boat launch.Get a few more posts and I'll p.m. My address,it's siting out front wanting to be on the water!!

Thank you everyone for the input so far, I appreciate your advice. I was wondering too whether or not twin 150's would be enough power for a boat this size. Seller is claiming it cruises at 28 knots, but I didn't ask him about running under a load like Snowwolfe suggests. Sounds like it does just fine though from Kotton's experience. Kotton, I might want to take you up on that offer of a test run. If your dad is considering selling, I would like to take a look at his boat. Not sure how many more posts I need to p.m.

For the size it's a lightweight boat, so I'm assuming that's why the 150's are on there. It's only about 5,000# dry.

I don't know anything about the Raider's construction, but the few I've seen are pretty sparsely outfitted, particularly the cabins, which inherently makes them lighter (not that there's anything wrong with that). In my opinion, for normal use, the twin 150s are adequate. For whatever it's worth, I don't understand the "plane on one engine" thing.

1250 miles S/O paradise in the lwr 48 dreaming of SE AK

I don't understand the "plane on one engine" thing.
    The school of thought is that if you can't plane on one motor then your second motor might as well be a kicker motor. I don't necessarily agree with that but that is what I have heard many times.

Quote Originally Posted by Gundog View Post
    The school of thought is that if you can't plane on one motor then your second motor might as well be a kicker motor. I don't necessarily agree with that but that is what I have heard many times.
    I'm more of the thought that if one motor dies the other one can still deliver you to port relatively quickly. If you're trying to outrun weather or tides and one engine fails, being able to get on step with just the other still gives you breathing room.

I'm guessing the 150's on the Raider perform similarly to the 29' Wooldridge because they are similar size, weight, and design. Makes me want to know what the performance stats on the Raider's actually are. I wonder how fast they go at WOT...

Quote Originally Posted by Gundog View Post
    The school of thought is....
    Quote Originally Posted by coho slayer View Post
    I'm more of the thought that if one motor dies....
    I should have been a little clearer. What I should have said was, I don't buy into the must plane on one engine thing. I know some people do, however.

Is this boat located in the Muldoon area? I looked at a similar if not the same boat last fall. I did not like the the lack of a self bailing deck, I did not like the cabin layout and the fishing area on the back was too small for my purposes, but the cabin was huge, but all bench seats down the sides. Fit and finish was not what it needed to be to make my wife happy.

If its the boat in Muldoon PM me and I can tell you what else I did not like about that boat in particular.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson