Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moose questions

Default Moose questions

After the first weekend, some questions have come to mind. I figured I'd throw them against the wall here and see what sticks. Many ideas I had have been discussed here, I thought I'd like to see some fresh opinions as we start the new mose season.

Rain. Do the moose bed down? I understand that some rain won't stop them from moving, if they have moving in mind. But if it's raining, they have plenty of food around, and not into the rut yet, do they just lay down and wait it out?

4 Wheelers/ATVs. Does the noise affect them at all? When I see them walking down the street in Anchorage it occurs to me that they go where they want, when they want. It doesn't seem like any amount of cars, lawnmowers, trucks or anything else changes their mind.

GMU 16A......are there any moose left? Stories have lead me to believe it used to be pretty good, but the bears changed that. Maybe hunting pressure as well. Spent a long weekend in there last year and saw one cow in 4 days. Saw a cow and another with 2 calves on this past Saturday. No bulls at all, and if they were there I would think one of the 900 hunters out would have been successful. Near as we could tell there was no action. Good new was there wasn't near the bear sign like last year. Not that I would mind taking one of them either.

Open fields. Without high ground, the tendency seems to be to find an open field to sit on and watch and wait. Is this a practice that bleeds over from deer hunting in the L48? Would a moose walk through an open field when they can get to the same place through the woods? Really, what are the chances that of all the little open fields in the state a legal bull is going to walk across the one you've been sitting at for 2 days? It seems the successful hunters cover as much ground as possible and rely on the chance encounter, again this is strictly if the terrain doesn't allow you to get high and glass.

The morning and evening hunt. The "stand to" at dusk and dawn. Is this another whitetail practice that bleeds over? I've seen moose moving around in the middle of the day plenty of times. Does it depend on the weather?

And finally, does the gas station in Talkeetna (Holiday or Tesoro, can't remember which) really not allow handguns in the store? Or was it just the dick working there Saturday night? I was shocked. He did wait until I finished shopping (love the spicy cheesey hot dogs) and paid to "for your future reference....." me. At that point I'd been awake for 22 hours and didn't feel like getting into it with him, but now I'm rested and it still bothers me.

These are all things that keep me awake at night. What are your thoughts?

Thanks

If I were to hunt 16A I would try and hunt towards the kahiltna river. There is a trail up by petersville to do the 51 mile loop. Now with that if you make it, you will see the kahiltna river, but I don't think anyone would make it to the river on wheelers. Now if you do the loop about mile 20 if you go in from the roadhouse side is excellent moose country we were in there last July and saw plenty of moose sign. But that is one nasty trail about 15 miles of mudholes this is all on the road house side. If you want to hit that last or try to avoid it go in through cache creek side that part of the trail is ok. But plenty of mudholes. On flip side not many guys and gals out there due to the trail not being that great. It is beautiful country back there plenty of bears as well. That's my take on unit 16A well that part of it anyhow.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan J View Post
    And finally, does the gas station in Talkeetna (Holiday or Tesoro, can't remember which) really not allow handguns in the store?
    state law requires businesses to post a sign on all entrances that clearly states weapons are not allowed. if there is no sign then too bad.

I have no experience with wheelers, so no help there. Also nothing about 16A.

I have seen plenty of moose out in about in the rain. I don't see many in a real monsoon downpour mostly because I am no out in it. They seem to bed down during the day if it gets warm or sunny. Also not too many when it gets windy. I think if they can't hear or smell much, they get nervous about sensing predators and lay low. If it is a cool cloudy day, it will be a long hunt day without a mid day nap. Also, hunting pressure will make them nocturnal no matter the weather. You might see more the first hour or so of daylight, then it is breakfast and nap time.

My hunting partners and I have the conversation about staying put and covering ground. It really just depends. If you have moose sign about, maybe stay put and call some. If there are no tracks or droppings, then likely there is no moose so keep moving. Walking through the woods is slow and noisy. Cover ground with good glass, boats and wheelers if you can without spooking stuff.

Don't lose too much sleep over it.

I saw 2 forkies off the highway last year but didn't have my bow. And another spike in the spring. I also walked into the tesoro with my bear gun on that skinny feller didn't like it too much. I've had no luck shooting a moose yet but I've seen em in the rain rode right up on em with the wheeler. Just can't find em when it's hunting time.

Quote Originally Posted by 323 View Post
    If I were to hunt 16A I would try and hunt towards the kahiltna river. There is a trail up by petersville to do the 51 mile loop. Now with that if you make it, you will see the kahiltna river, but I don't think anyone would make it to the river on wheelers. Now if you do the loop about mile 20 if you go in from the roadhouse side is excellent moose country we were in there last July and saw plenty of moose sign. But that is one nasty trail about 15 miles of mudholes this is all on the road house side. If you want to hit that last or try to avoid it go in through cache creek side that part of the trail is ok. But plenty of mudholes. On flip side not many guys and gals out there due to the trail not being that great. It is beautiful country back there plenty of bears as well. That's my take on unit 16A well that part of it anyhow.
    I'm not so sure I would try up towards the Kahiltna, there are two guides who have camps set up there now. I don't think they get exclusive hunting rights, but am just pointing out there is going to be a fair amount of pressure out that way.

Just my nickel
    Drew
    Normal people believe that if something ain't broke, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet.

Scott Adams

Open fields can certainly be productive. I've taken one in 14A at the edge of a swamp, and have seen many more moose in that same swamp - some right out in the middle. Ultimately, finding some open ground is really your only option until late in the season when calling works. You're right - it seems like they would stick to cover - but young bulls in particular aren't always so well educated until it's too late. I wouldn't expect to see a 60" bull traipsing across a 300 yard opening, but I've seen more than a few spikes taking to the open country.

It could be me, but if the bears chased all the moose away I would think the bulls would leave after the cow's and calf's have gone and not before.
    Will

Quote Originally Posted by Toddler View Post
    I'm not so sure I would try up towards the Kahiltna, there are two guides who have camps set up there now. I don't think they get exclusive hunting rights, but am just pointing out there is going to be a fair amount of pressure out that way.

Just my nickel
    Drew
    Thats good to know, when I was out there last year I really liked the country I saw ,but would not like the trip back there with moose camp in tow. It would be a painful trip probably just like the Christochina (sp) hunt LOL. That trail back there is no joke, granted we did it on rangers, 4 wheelers might be a little easier. On a side note me and some buddies were out thier this winter riding on the Kahiltna on sleds and we saw a bunch of moose matter of fact we found one that wasnt so lucky broke through the ice and all that was sticking out was his head and the top of his back, you could see the wolves been eating on him . Someone already sawed his antlers off though.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan J View Post
    And finally, does the gas station in Talkeetna (Holiday or Tesoro, can't remember which) really not allow handguns in the store? Or was it just the dick working there Saturday night? I was shocked. He did wait until I finished shopping (love the spicy cheesey hot dogs) and paid to "for your future reference....." me. At that point I'd been awake for 22 hours and didn't feel like getting into it with him, but now I'm rested and it still bothers me.
    I wouldn't bother finding out, i'd just stop shopping there.

I had a similar instance in Chicken of all places, I suggested the lady go back to California before leaving without spending any money. I've also told EVERYONE I know the story in hopes they would also not spend money there...

Just rediculous in this state if you aske me...

Quote Originally Posted by limon32 View Post
    I wouldn't bother finding out, i'd just stop shopping there.

I had a similar instance in Chicken of all places, I suggested the lady go back to California before leaving without spending any money. I've also told EVERYONE I know the story in hopes they would also not spend money there...

Just rediculous in this state if you aske me...
    I agree but sometimes it's the only show in town and when your exhausted and hungry after a long evening of hunting you gotta do what you gotta do. Weird to me that it was in sunrise kinda seemed like it'd he a little more hunting friendly.

Moose seem to like to eat around the edges of openings. Maybe they feel safer with a good field of veiw for preditors. I have harvested all but two of my moose in clearings of some sort. Wether murin lake, or grassy/shrub fields.

As to wearing firearm into stores. By law they must post a sign by the entrance stating no carry of firearms in the building. I have worn a handgun in that store more than once. I haven't been addressed not to carry yet.

Chris

I have to ask why you would want to carry a gun in to the store? ( lol) I've seen the same thing here in Delta and it only happens 20 days out of the year, do you do it the remaing days? The clerks are young and easily parinod about someone walking in with a gun. Just because you can ,does'nt mean that its right. What would it take you to take it off and wait til you get to your hunting spot?

Just saying.

Wow, when I started this, I mostly wanted to talk about Moose. The gun comment was a side note.

But, in reply, yes I do carry daily. When and where it is legal. I do it in Starbucks after a hike. I do it in Wal-Mart, Freddy's, Lowes so on and so forth, not just 20 days out of the year. This is in fact the first time anyone has ever had a problem with it, and where I was made it even more suprising to me. The "just because you can, does'nt mean that its right" attitude could be applied to a lot of our rights. Including hunting. Just one man's opinion. The mistake I feel I made was passing at the opportunity to possibly educate a young paranoid clerk about legally armed citizens.

In any case, back to Moose. I like the idea of them feeding on the edge of a clearing for better visibility of predators. That makes sense. I also never considered them bedding down once their senses were inhibited by the weather, or at least not for that reason. Good call.
    Thanks for the responses so far. Different people I have hunted with all seem to have different methods, my buddy and I have been trying to wrap our heads around the reasons for some of them.....or if the afternoon nap is just tradition.

Wish I could help with the moose questions. But I don't know that much yet. I am going out tomorrow and fixin to try a new technique I'll let you know what I learn. It does seem I've seen lots of moose in fields but i wouldn't quite say most of them are concentrated on the edges they seem pretty random. Anyways good luck if you make it out any time soon. Hopefully I fan stick one tomorrow.

Good enough Ryan, back to the moose questions, ( I'll open another thread on the guns in stores )

hunting in the rain: the harder it is raining the more i like it. It is easy to walk around in the woods without making noise. Also, i think the rain slicker does a good job of keeping the me stink contained. also, i cant smell in the water, so if the scent goes through the air, some of the scent has to be knocked down. Moose, like deer and elk are mammals. They get wet and cold, just like us. Has anyone ever seen a big game animal bed down for very long in a long, hard rain? I think it makes the move to stay warm. Probably not fast, but a little bit.

So as thick as the woods are up here, would it stand to reason that more people kill moose in the open because they can see further? I have always seen well used game trails around the edge of clearings, not out in the open. When exploring new hunting area, i count the number of stands and blinds people have built. The more there are, the better the area.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_skipper View Post
    I have to ask why you would want to carry a gun in to the store? ( lol) I've seen the same thing here in Delta and it only happens 20 days out of the year, do you do it the remaing days? The clerks are young and easily parinod about someone walking in with a gun. Just because you can ,does'nt mean that its right. What would it take you to take it off and wait til you get to your hunting spot?

Just saying.
    How about in case a crack/meth head walks in behind you and decides he/she needs your wallet? I'm sick of law abiding citizens being held hostage by drug addicts with no regard for other humans. Can you tell much of my family works in corrections?

For the record I carry concealed and open as I feel all year round. Of course i'm hunting/fishing/hiking year around too.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by limon32 View Post
    How about in case a crack/meth head walks in behind you and decides he/she needs your wallet? I'm sick of law abiding citizens being held hostage by drug addicts with no regard for other humans.
    That's a really good answer. Nuff said.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast