Thread: spinner blade and body colors

Question spinner blade and body colors

King or coho fishing.
    There are some recommendations about spinner blade and body colors depending from position of the sun, clarity of the water or from overcast etc...?
    Thanks

As a general rule, I always went with a green/chartruse (?) color on a cloudy day and a red or orange or silver color on a sunny day... however that is not a hard and fast rule... The other day my favorite grand daughter told her Dad, that no self respecting Coho would hit a Pink spinner... But enough of them did for him to limit out on the Deshka....!!!! Best advice I could offer is to be flexible...

Thank you, John, very much!
    I think you are right.
    I have no a big experience for salmon fishing but last time I've fished on Sacramento River only 4 salmons were cought -3 by silver and 1 by three-colour Mepps (red-yellow-green). It was sunny day.
    Last edited by ING; 08-22-2011 at 16:08. Reason: misspelling

Our best results have been on chartruse fox spinners with silver blades. Every so ofter with the pink.

Quote Originally Posted by ING View Post
    King or coho fishing.

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

I think it's more about presentation, low and slow. That and a #6 Blue Vibrax for all species, even grayling hit them.

Fish On!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

General rule which I have followed with much success is bright day- dark color, dark day- bright color. Of course there are always exceptions.

You know, for a long time I was told to use bright colors on bright days and dark colors on dark days. Then I read that the opposite is true. Followed that and seemed to do much better.

Honestly I'm not sure there really is a formula or rule. my experience is that there always seems to be one spinner that works better than the rest and there doesn't really seem to be any pattern.

I do however follow the general rule above of bright to dark and dark to bright, but make it a bit more general as sun or cloud is only one part of the equation. Water clarity also makes a big difference. The rule is more:

"higher the water visibility - darker and smaller the colors/lure, - less visibility - bigger and brighter the lure.

I've kept a running total of which lure performs the best in in most conditions where I fish the #4 silver blade vibrax with hot pink bell has hooked more fish than the rest by a significant margin. that's usually what I'll start with regardless of the conditions. so far tally is - 4 kings, 18 silvers, ( I don't count pinks and chum but they've hit it regularly too)

other lures that seem to work at specific fisheries in order of success
    1.) #3 bleeding vibrax with purple bell works REALLY well. (I think however they are discontinued and are hard to find, I have to paint mine with model paint to keep them up) It works in clear water and sunnier conditions, I've had hits at Jim Creek and the Valley streams and Ship creek, rainbows will hit that lure as well so be careful with it. Tally so far 8 silvers, 1 king and 12 or so Rainbows.

2.) Tiger striped red lure #4 - at Ship creek this is a good alternate. lots of hits. - 5 or 6 kings, 12 silvers - yes I know the tally is higher but there is a reason it's here, not #1, I spend more time at Ship than most other fisheries because I can go there before work so the results may be a bit biased, Also all those were hooked and lost, I've lost so many of these it hurts a little to think about it. in 5 years of trying I have yet to bank a fish at ship creek with a lure. ....... ok lets be honest. My grand total of catchs at Ship is 1 king... that was using eggs but the eggs did nothing, I fluked out and snagged a spin-n-glow that the king had broken off earlier. Ship Creek and I have many issues that have nothing to do with lure selection. LOL

3.) #3 Brass Vibrax with red bell - new addition to my list for this year. I threw it on my backup pole and let a fishing buddy use it when his rod broke, He proceeded to catch a limit in about 15 minutes at which point I took my pole back an did the same. the 6 other fishermen in the same hole using silver and blue vibrax which by the rule should have done better were getting nothing. Very well could have been presentation, as we were at a better angle. but it worked in other conditions too. in total caught 8 silvers at wasillia creek over several weekends with this lure this year

4.) Green and silver mepps - Valley streams in clear conditions. - 6 silvers

5.) Chartruse Vibrax - pretty much everywhere - 2 silvers

having said all that I've hooked 3 times more fish with eggs than I have with lures/spinners.

Hey gang, has any body ever used all black or all gold spinners on the Deshka River or near by streams for King salmon? If so how well did they work? Thanks in advance!

Quote Originally Posted by kodiakcustom View Post
    Hey gang, has any body ever used all black or all gold spinners on the Deshka River or near by streams for King salmon? If so how well did they work? Thanks in advance!
    A couple years ago I used the black blade - john deere green body/bell Vibrex (now discontinued I believe) and caught a bunch of silvers, but last year in the same area the silver blade - purple body/bell Vibrex seemed to be the hot spinner. Size 4 has always seemed to work the best for me for silvers. Bottom line I guess is carry a bunch of color combinations and try them until you find the one that is working that day. Next day it may be something different due to the water clarity, sunny or overcast, etc.

ClearCreek