Thread: Opening day cow hunt -

Default Opening day cow hunt -

Starting to think the cow hunts are as much of a pain to stay legal as the antler restrictions. Lets just say I wish my daughters tag was for any bull rather than a cow. With only 2 days to hunt before school started the pressure was on. Opening morning we saw 3 bulls, 4 cows with calves, one legal cow across a river we couldn't cross, and one legal cow on the run (I guess she knew she was legal). That evening 2 bulls no cows. Morning of day 2 - 2 bulls again, a cow with a calf, and 1 legal cow that was about 10 seconds 2 fast. I was really proud of my daughter as she had a chance for shot but passed it up - She said "It was angling away from me and I did not have a shot I felt good about" and "I didn't want to cripple it or ruin a bunch of meat".

We watched that legal cow for 10 minutes to determine it wasn't a spike and that it had no calves. When we were assured it was legal it just did not give her a "good enough" shot. We watched another cow which we knew had a calf up in the woods feed in a slough for 30 minutes without seeing the calf. Had we just walked up on the cow and watched it that long I would have been satisfied it was alone - Fortunately we watched the calf disappear into the woods and knew it was there.

Lots of moose in a small area but I had to go back to work and the kid to school. Guess we will be trying again next week. If all else fails it is an any bull area later in the season.

Very cool pictures - thanks for sharing! Congrats to your daughter for having the patience and maturity to pass up marginal shots. I had the same experience with my 11 year old nephew last winter while caribou hunting. We came home empty-handed, but I think I was more proud than if he had taken a shot and connected.

We've seen three legal cows now, but the opportunity hasn't presented itself yet. We saw one bull with a legal cow the first morning out, but the bull got worked up and ran off taking the cow with her. No real good opportunities yet, but having a great time with my daughter in the field. We are hunting 722, which tag do you guys have?

Have had the same problem in unit 22c. Plenty of cows, but reproduction is so good there are not that many LEGAL cows.
    Keep on trying.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

My wife drew the 740 tag, but unfortunately due to family emergencies in South Carolina, she has been gone for the entire season thus far and probably will miss the remaining as well. I have been out bird hunting a number of times and have seen many cows but the majority are still holding calves.

Evening I got mine, seen 4 legal cows and three bulls before I harvested. One of the bulls was 60 plus inches in velvet and strutting for two cows. The cows were in a slough too wet for me! Stayed and watched the show for about 45 minutes though. The one I harvested was a suicidal cow right next to the road. I watched her for 30 minutes to make sure no calves. Then she turned and walked toward the road. I sure like the short hauls to the trailer.

Chris

Both those bulls look to be legal in a spike/fork/50/3 area even. Hopefully they are there when you return after the first.