Thread: Sea ducks

Default Sea ducks

So with the season coming fast, when do you all plan to hit the ocean? I'm hoping If I get cleared with my shoulder injury To hit the ocean in Oct.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

I wonder if you would consider letting me tag along with you sometime in November. I'm afraid I'd drown myself and the dog if I tried it on my own.
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

I hunt sea ducks quite a bit and found that towards the end of October is when it is worth going out there for consistant numbers of birds and plumage.

waldo,

have you ever seen any of these endangered alaskan albatross?

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...albatross.main
    edit signature here

While crossing the Gulf of AK I do tend to see a fair amount of Albatross. I've thought they were Laysen's, but perhaps some of them were the short-tailed. Hard to tell from a distance. I'll try and look harder next time.

Usually the end of october I start to get excited about the seaducks. I saw a fair number of surf scoters rafted up in a small cove here the other day. I'm no expert but it seems that the birds start to come hot and heavy around halloween and continue thru the end of the season. I'd love to do a southern admiratly deer/sea duck combo. If memory serves me right the immature birds didn't move out til November. Went to seymour canal one year in the second week of oct and couldn't find a mature scoter. the weather playa a big part in how they fly thru southeast. It was clear and warm at that time. Gary, if youu come to SE, look us up.

deer hunting the islands i have seen sea birds, some of which may have been ducks, by the hundreds. crazy colors and patterns and types. of course i didn't know what was legal, but i'll never forget. they are quite a site those sea birds.

would be cool to see an ak albatross i think
    edit signature here