Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Two canoes, two caribou, opening morning!

Default Two canoes, two caribou, opening morning!

What a wonderful hunt in a beautiful area. Look closely and you can antlers in velvet protruding from both canoes.

Ok thats a heck of a teaser......Lets hear it
    Semper Fi and God Bless

Looks like a great time! Is that a Go-Devil on the left? How did it work out? Was it a lake hunt, or river?

Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

tboehm and MS are right on - gotta have a story with a beautiful start like this!
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Did you get them by trolling or mooching?

Looks way to sunny to have any fun on your hunting trip
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Rig on the left has a copperhead motor on it with surface drive, similar to godevil but with aluminum frame, makes it much lighter. Saw it in action, and it can go some amazing places!

Great pic, FM, congrats to you both, great way to get into the backcountry with those rigs.

Default more info coming

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Strahan View Post
    Looks like a great time! Is that a Go-Devil on the left? How did it work out? Was it a lake hunt, or river? Mike
    My buddie's mud motor worked great; its just a bit louder than my ultra-stealth 4stroke. I've got a video of him powering off the sandbar that I'm stuck on; he's juicing the power and raising his prop (air cooled so no worries about lack of water pumpage) so there's a huge rooster tail behind his .1 mph travelling canoe.

Part lake, part river. We camped about 22 miles back from my truck, and went about 30 miles back when we turned around to come home.

Quote Originally Posted by kingfisherktn View Post
    Did you get them by trolling or mooching?
    You just make a sound like.... uh.... nothing.... and see a nice one riverside/lakeside, & plug'm. I had my rope-a-long to more easily move an full body caribou but didn't need it as my bull was only 30 feet from the river and dropped directly. But he was about 200 yards from me, which did stretch my envelope a bit, since my son's efforts to keep the canoe broadside to him mean he never quit fiddlin' with his paddle, which meant the boat never did stop rockin'. Gotta love the new Ruger .338 RCM; sweetest rifle I've ever owned or shot.

More info and pictures later; tonight if I have time.

Default Here are more pictures from Caribou hunting

As promised, here are some more pictures and descriptions of this year's caribou hunt.

It was me, a buddy, and a son, with two permits. If we get a very close shot my son will take it, but he didn't like the kick of my new light Ruger .338 RCM and preferred my .270 instead, which we didn't bring since we didn't have time to sight it in again. And if the shot is not so close, I take it. Agreed.

My buddy got delayed so I let him know we were heading to the boat launch spot and he could catch up. That evening (midnight) he is still in Anchorage so I let him know we'd launch in the morning and head back 22 miles and make camp, and he could check in at a mutual friend's cabin right by there, to find out which spot I'd chosen.

My son and I motor back there on a nice yet drizzly day; no bad waves, which is excellent. We got there 2 hours late to use my usual site; a guy from Palmer had just set up camp there. So we chose a better spot, "Old Bill's Place" where Old Bill and his wife had spent a few years (year round) camping there waiting for their cabin spot to open up. Since for the 3rd year in a row there there was an unusually large grizzly there making trouble, I brought a large bear fence that carries 5,000 volts, erected in a 30 foot by 60 foot rectangle, with our foot tent at the far end. The big grizzly was reported to be almost 10 feet tall this year, and I wanted time to grab the .338 if he decided to chew up our food tent, and that's if he got past the fence.

Yeah, overprepared a bit, but last time I slept there he'd eaten a Weber BBQ (yes, metal and all) while I slept 1/4 mile away, and then a week later we had bear scat left between our two tents the first night of 7 afield.... so overpreparing is now OK.

Opening Day: We sleep in. No worries, we'd seen tons of caribou on the way to our camp site, and I was only looking for a 2-3 year old bull to make better eating. So I knew we'd have plenty of chances. During late breakfast we hear two shots less than a half mile away. Didn't find out until later, but this was my buddy shooting his on the way to come find our camp site; he'd launched at 5am and made the 22 miles out that morning.

We amble over to the friend's cabin and my buddy then sees us for the first time, can't wave us down, so instead leaves his caribou and tails us. I just about fell out of my canoe when I was on a 15 yard wide river and he snuck up behind us!

With one down, we decide to tackle the hairier little river from here, going farther than I'd gone in before. But I had to test my new 6 inch motor lift. Just 1/4 mile past my friend's cabin, there's a nice bull on the left of the river, and he wants to cross. I was still taking the hunt way too casual though, so my rifle is still in its hardcase. Kill the motor and slowly drift toward the bull. Uncase rifle. Son broadsides us to the animal with his paddle but doesn't ever settle, so the boat and crosshairs keep arockin'. Bull now on right side of river, 200 yards downriver but only 30 feet from the river.

I decided to go for it and squeezed one off; he dropped in his tracks.

We decide to continue downriver another 8 miles to a location aptly named "broken canoe", to test my lift. On the way there my snaps the picture below of me just before I appear to be hitting a large rock:

Though water was a bit low, we made it just fine. I snapped a picture of my buddy's canoe making up the "broken canoe" obstacle:

(continued)

Default more pics

We rested that night, then broke camp, a bit overloaded due to overpacking. But the Scott Albany did just fine:

As is firm tradition on my hunts, after filling all permits there's an extra caribou larger than all others, giving us the neener-neener from an easy to shoot at position:

Great hunt, great fun, and Pioneer Meats at the corner of Pittman and the Parks made some wonderful-good hunter stix with my grindables; all else went to steaks that I packaged and froze. Now both freezers are 100% full, so maybe its just as well that my schedule won't allow me to hunt moose this year. Oh well, I had my fun.

I'm jealous!

Default going UP "broken canoe"

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyMan View Post
    I snapped a picture of my buddy's canoe making up the "broken canoe" obstacle:
    Oops this pic didn't make it in there the first time; here it is:

Thats more like it! Love the pictures and thanks for the story. So which rig would you say better handled the waters?
    Semper Fi and God Bless

Well done ! Always good to see family members enjoying such adventures.

Thanks for sharing.

Really enjoyed the story/pictures... Thanks for sharing...

Default which canoe rig is better?

Quote Originally Posted by tboehm View Post
    Thats more like it! Love the pictures and thanks for the story. So which rig would you say better handled the waters?
    His rig is FAR more capable than mine, hands down. Much higher top speed and better handling of rough conditions of all types, from high waves in open waters to big rocks.

Mine is likely just a bit lighter if you needed to lift it. And mine is quieter and could be trolled from; not his. And mine is quieter, and a ton cheaper; I've got a ton less money in my entire rig than he has just in his motor.

But which rig do I prefer? His. Even as much as I love my rig.

Very well done FamilyMan! I would say a 200 yard shot from a rocking boat is something to brag on my friend - nice!
    Glad you didn't have to deal with Mr Bear!
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

familyman, what brand of canoe is that? Length? Width? How large (hp) of a motor is your 4 stroke? Thanks in advance for the info

Default bear and boat

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
    Very well done FamilyMan! I would say a 200 yard shot from a rocking boat is something to brag on my friend - nice!
    Glad you didn't have to deal with Mr Bear!
    Thanks. It's longer than I like, but it worked out just fine.

My buddy actually DID want to run into the bear. He was one of them that sighted him last year, and estimated him at 9.5 feet. He held off because he didn't want to end his moose hunt. He's been seen this year with an estimate attached of over 10 feet.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Swede View Post
    familyman, what brand of canoe is that? Length? Width? How large (hp) of a motor is your 4 stroke? Thanks in advance for the info
    Scott Albany, 19 feet long, 4 feet wide, 2 foot wide transom, custom 6 inch lift, with a whopping-heavy (124#) Tohatsu 15 HP 4 stroke that it handles quite nicely; not tippy at all. I've been in 3 1/2 foot waves with it for a long stretch, and though I did have to bail constantly, I never thought I was going over.

Nice thread FamilyMan!

I had a great time on this hunt and every time I dip my canoe in the water.........the freezer gets heavier. The hunt was too quick and I wish we were still out there drinking beers and telling stories by the campfire. I liked that picture of that bull that I had spotted when we lost sight of each other on the return trip. He was a keeper for sure. It always works that way with caribou hunting.....seeing a larger one when headin home ehh? The malamute pup sure did enjoy the hunt too, and since she doesn't really bark I think she'll be back in the canoe for moose season in a couple weeks

Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast