Thread: Overpressure in Remington factory loads

Maryland...not by choice

Default Overpressure in Remington factory loads

I was shooting some factory loads out of my Ruger GP-100 today, and had one that locked up my cylinder. After many swear words and fighting with the cylinder, I finally got it open. I inspected the case, and found that the dimple usually left in the primer by the firing pin was pushed out backwards, and the primer was backing out. I am assuming this was caused by overcharging the case, or using the wrong primer. Anybody else have any problems with Remington's UMC ammo? I stopped using these rounds as soon as this happened, so I am not sure if any more in the box had problems.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

I'd show both the extracted case, and the gun, to a local 'smith for their opinion. Might want to get ahold of Remington too...they might want both the case and the rest of the ammo for testing...

"I love my's the government I'm scared of"

Dublin, GA

I had some CCI mini caps that did not fire. I called the company and they wanted them back for testing along with the numbers on the plastic box.
    NRA Life Member since 1974

+1 on what Marshall said. Before firing again (with different ammunition) have a trustworthy smith safety check pistol and also call Remington. Have the box handy when you call. Remington has had a fair share of recalled items and this might be on the list.

Southwest Alaska

You could have found a case that made it past quality control, the primer backed out due to being loose in the case, with the primer causing the cylinder to lock up.

Have you chrono'ed the ammo? It is significantly faster than ammo of a different lot number?
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

I have shot 1500 rounds of .40 S&W UMC ammo in the last 16 months, as well as 2000 rounds of .223 UMC, and a few hundred rounds of .45ACP. No issues at all.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem