Thread: Hatcher pass blueberries

Default Hatcher pass blueberries

I'm just wondering if anyone has had any luck picking blueberries on the palmer side of hatcher pass? I want to show my girls a good time. I suspect timing is right but would like to know for sure. Thanks!

I HAVE NEVER BEEN UP THERE BEFORE LOOKING FOR BLUEBERRIES EVER BEFORE EXCEPT FOR ONCE JUST LAST THURSDAY...

But every single place I looked, whether they be frequently mentioned on the net, or places I just felt like looking, I got about a half cups worth. I found lots of blueberry bushes, just no berries. Perhaps, even with all my reading regarding where to look for berries there I'm still a newb, but it just seems they were all missing in action. Or perhaps they all got picked before I arrived, by people just as adventuresome as me to climb up and down crazy steep hills. Or perhaps I was just crazy unlucky.

Please someone prove me wrong.

We went up there yesterday and were quite disappointed. 75% of the berries we did find were not yet ripe, and the berries were very few and far between. We generally pick closer to home and have some great spots, but due to the outbreak of caterpillars the past two years we're not getting much production in the Eagle River area. Looks like we'll have to go further north to some other areas I know. As for Hatcher Pass, it won't be on my list of future berry picking areas (unless you're looking for crowberries, of which there are plenty).

Quote Originally Posted by NSTYN8AK View Post
    I'm just wondering if anyone has had any luck picking blueberries on the palmer side of hatcher pass? I want to show my girls a good time. I suspect timing is right but would like to know for sure. Thanks!
    I was up there last evening at the top of the pass and berries were very small and not ripe. I noticed a few people picking lower down, but did not see or hear what they were finding.

I was up there Sunday too. Same results as was reported earlier. Only a few berries. And not many that are ripe.

I think the rain beat them off the vine I have some plants on the property that were looking pretty full and blueing up quite well then went out and they were gone not too long after the rains started. Well better luck next year everyone
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

Strange...I was there for 2 hours yesterday and got about 3 gallons. Most were up high. Surprised to hear the bad reports!

were you picking short bog berries? All I was after was the highbush you know the bushes are nose height
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

All highbush. Went and got a couple more gallons today. Everything low is picked you have to climb a little.