Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jack Ass Motor lift

Default Jack Ass Motor lift

Does anybody remember the old z-lift or Jackass lift folks used to put on freighter canoes for outboard motors? You could move the whole mount and motor straight up and down for shallow running. im trying to locate one to purchase or one to take measurements from so I can fabricate one. send me a message wiyh any info. ive been looking forever with no luck. any info greatly appreciated.

Do a search in the archives. Many threads on the topic. A fella in FBX name Pete made them but I'm not sure he still does.

Talk to Mike at the Boat Shop, aka, the "Madboater" on this forum. He's working on one, and has a prototype in hand, that I've seen and tried prior to ordering a surface drive motor.

I would have sent you a PM but having trouble with that part of forum give me a calll Anchorage 677.9043 see ifI can find what you need [Lake hood] SID

Default Jackass Lift Now Available

I had a few of these made off this old lift. 30 lbs with a 9" lift.
    Should handle a 20 Honda nicely. Mike 460-0214
    Attached Images Attached Images

that type of lift has been around a long time, an cost less than the other type is the plus side , but the short commings is the motor is off the end of the canoe by about 1 foot an this is not good when you put the larger motors on the back end, it will work for the smaller motors, we worry about the weight of the motors as it is now an if you put the heavy motor out passed the transom a foot or more, an when you need to do any thing to the eng, very hard because of the narrow back end of the canoe's, works better on a boat's than a canoe ................................... ....... """ look out"""...... ................MY 2 CTS .....
    SID

Yeah, I agree with Sid. It's tough to keep enough weight in the nose of a motor canoe to keep it trimmed out. With a lift like the one in the picture it's going to put a 75lb motor at least a foot farther back than the lifts that are right at the stern. Zack

Default Lift the motor without moving it rearward

Quote Originally Posted by Zack View Post
    it's going to put a 75lb motor at least a foot farther back than the lifts that are right at the stern. Zack
    Yeah, and my motor weighs 50 pounds more than that! That's what sold me on a lift with zero movement of the motor sternward. My (custom) lift went thru its paces this year for its first season, and we beat it up on some tiny water - it performed very very well. Anyone can PM me and I'll have the designer of my custom lift PM you back; he's a forum member here that knows more about canoes than I ever will, and unless its hunting season he might be available to build you one.

Any pictures? I have my Cargo in the shop right now for the Pipercub upgrades and a couple other things I may do. A lift has been on my mind lately as a worthwhile upgrade too. The older I get the less room I have in there for thought!!!

Default Lift for Grumman Sport Boat

This is the one I copied for my lift. Not sure who is original designer. I use a 15hp OMC motor. Well, I'm new here and I can't attach images for some reason. Maybe you need a minimum number of posts? If someone can advise me on how to post images, I'll be glad to.

I am picture challenged too. I'm smart enough to take the pictures but not to post them. Someone should come along in a bit and help out with posting. Thanks Airweld.

Default Pictures of canoe lift

Quote Originally Posted by Lowrider View Post
    Any pictures?
    Yes, I started a thread on this forum and showed pictures of the progress of the building of my canoe's lift. See it here: http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...l=1#post817244

I don't take credit for the design, and as a matter of fact the designer himself did most of the work while I learned, and fetched his cold beverages.

This lift is cheap to build, and works well.

Thank you Sir!!!

here are pictures of Madboater's prototype lift on my Hudson Bay with my 15 hp Yamaha 2 stroke in the lowered position and then the full raised position.

Default Lifted HB

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    here are pictures of Madboater's prototype lift on my Hudson Bay with my 15 hp Yamaha 2 stroke in the lowered position and then the full raised position.
    Very Nice!

Default Thanks

Thanks everyone for all the info. I'm on the road working In southeast. When I return, straight to the land of the swamp donkey. I will be contacting my fellow members after a hopfully successful trip to start my fall/winter project.
    Thanks again everyone. Keep the info comming. Good luck to all in the woods this fall.

Default Lift photos

This is a link to pictures of the lift I copied . I made some changes on mine but it's pretty much the same geometry. Maybe someone here knows the maker? I haven't gotten enough time on it to give a good review, but I have seen this design around for many years so I'm hoping the bugs have been worked out.

http://s1121.photobucket.com/albums/l516/airweld/

Default Klingle?

Quote Originally Posted by airweld View Post
    Maybe someone here knows the maker?
    Isn't that the John Klingle design? (John is a member here on this forum)

Klingle quit making the lifts and his jigs went to Pete Weaver, who no longer makes the Klingle lifts, to my knowledge.

I almost went the route of the Klingle lift, for my canoe.

Actually, the "Klingel lift" has been around the Interior longer than John Klingel. Mike, the Madboater of this forum, works at the Boat Shop over on Chena Pump Road. He has an old riverboat of perhaps 50 years that is long ... maybe 30+ feet, narrow, tapers to the rear where it wears a 30 horse Evinrude (I think) on an earlier lift that looks like that era's version of the Klingel lift. It even operates from a rustic console in the boat's center. I'll try to get some pictures if the Madboater doesn't post some.

My point ... some times we are reinventing the wheel. That old riverboat has many of the ideas we are looking for today.

Nice job, airweld. Looks like a good lift. What's the boat it's on?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast