Thread: What type of pull behidn sled

Default What type of pull behidn sled

I'm looking for a good pull behind sled, probably tobbogan style, anyone have any good suggestions???

Default sleds

What are you going to do with the sled?
    YOu gonna go on long trips? or just out ice fishing a few miles from home?
    Heavy loads?
    I just use one of those black plastic Sleds with the high sides. they hae the yoke type bars and it works ok, I guess if I were going on expeditions, I would get something with runners etc.
    When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com

Default How I'm using the sled

I'd probably be using it to haul an arctic oven, propane, gas, and whatever else for 3 to 5 day trips out on the Yenta River, out Denali Hwy, etc.

Default Bush sled

Bush Sleds are awsome. Used one for the first time two years ago and was great. Seventy plus gallons of gas enough gear for nine days of winter hunting. Pulled great. Held up perfect through hundreds of miles of rex trail sledding. If your desperate enough you can water skip with one loaded with moose meat.

The good thing about a plactic sled is there cheep.
    In very cold weather they do break aparts.

What I used is all alu. sled with whmw on the bottom and uhmw runners with steel runner add on if I plan to be on hardpack trail or road. My sled also has a brake for going down a steep hill.

Mine is for sale 32" wide, 8 feet long and 16" high.

Default Name Brand of Sleds

Thanks for the input, do you guys have a name brand so I can further research them online or a place that sells them???

Thanks

Thumbs up Siglin

Made by Roger Siglin
    "When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it."
    Henry Ford

Default Otter Sled

Otter sleds are avaliable at Sportsmans in Anch. The x-large model is about $320- and will hold the gear you are thinking about hauling. However, the X-large model is wide enough that in powder it too makes it's own trail and gets tougher to pull. The medium otter sled fits in your track and pulls easily through anything. They have covers avaliable too, which helps keep all the snow out of your gear.
    I've been using both to haul freight on the Big Su up to the cabin, also cut a ton of firewood and hauled it w/out any troubles. If on a budget, these are decent sleds. (The medium size also has a wheel kit option and it turns into a meat wagon...works great.) Cold weather (-23) hasn't affected mine either.
    BK

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska_Lanche View Post
    Thanks for the input, do you guys have a name brand so I can further research them online or a place that sells them???

Thanks
    Check out Northern Sled Works in Fairbanks. They make several different types that would do what you need. I have the Cross Fox sled and it's a great sled. Will do everything that you need it to. The UHMW plastic is tough and the extreme cold won't hurt it.

www.northernsledworks.com

Default Alaska Bush Sled

You might PM Mod Elan he might have one left.

http://www.atecmarine.com/snowgotrail.html

Look at the bottom of the linked page.

I have a Bush Sled and an ATEC. The ATEC rides way better. It's much easier on the sno-go's hitch, too. The taller your rear suspension the more true that becomes. Bush Sled has their ski leg at the rear of the box. ATEC's in in the middle. It makes a huge difference.

In fairness to Mike's Welding, here's a link to Alaska Bush Sleds.

http://www.alaskabushsleds.net/SledPhotoAlbumn.htm

Default Sleds

UHMW is a fantastic plastic type material. My dad makes his own, and most of our friends have wanted one. Most sleds that are made of this material are very tough. The one thing that is bad for them is leaving the sled in the sun. Anyway, I would recomend a sled made out of this material if you can find one.

-Eric

Default poly sleds

I took my Husky sled up to Upper Russian lake this week for a 3 day trip, It held all the gear we needed for 3 people, included was a two burner coleman stove, lanterns, pots and pans, sleeping bags and pads, ice auger, tent, food for several days, shovel, axe, snowshoes, and I took a chainsaw along also, extra fuel.
    It held it all real well, and I even strapped on the snowboard on top.
    here is a picture going in .

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com

Default other campers

We ran into two other campers up at Russian lakes that were using the same Husky sled. they had one of those great Alaskan tents with the wood stove in it. They were camping for a week or more, ice fishing and relaxing. they brought X country ski's and snow shoes also, and were having a great time.
    They have had their Husky sleds for several years and use them tons in the winter camping and going many miles.
    They show little wear at all, after years of use.
    here is a picture of Mike and Colletts great camp.

Thumbs up Poly sleds

I have a sled similar to Max's called the Viking. I bought it with a hitch at Walmart two years ago for about $50. I have put hundreds of miles on this sled pulling firewood, camping gear, and ice fishing gear. No problems at all.

I used to make sleds from scratch out of 2x6's and plywood with P-Tex runners and a welded steel tow bar (popular out in rural Alaska), but then I switched to poly sleds and am on my third (still have the second).

The only problem I have had with them is in extreme cold weather hitting real hard ice bumps which causes them to crack. Still, you can't go wrong for the price.

Max-
    is there still a lodge up on Upper Russian?

Default Russian lake

Steve, the Lodge is still there. the old cabins etc. some are doing ok, some are in need of help. It looks like someone is still using the bigger cabin, but more for personel use it seems. A brown bear busted in the bigger cabin this summer or fall and tore it up good. It went thru everything. The cabin was not cleaned up or repaired from this bear invasion, and with broken windows and such, looks like it may need a new owner if it is going to last for any time.
    Now the Nice cabin that is made from T1-11 is in great shape. I think it is also a personel use place also. No damage to it. and it is kept up nice.
    The forest service cabin is marginal at best. broken windows, and that concrete floor is all mishapen from heaving and broken up. the bottom logs are rotting into the ground and the chinking is just stupid crap shoved in the log grooves. Wind comes in strong enough to fly a small kite. The stove is ok, but is not airtight and won't keep a fire going for several hours unless you hire a cubscout to stand there and shove wood in it. The Cement floor also helps to keep the cabin cold, as it is like tenting on a ice cube. They put a new door on the cabin this summer, and the fellow that built it must have been concerned about carbon monoxide poison overtaking someone inside. I could see the Moon and stars on 3 sides of the door and I watched an Ermine go under the door without touching a hair. The forest service should be embarassed to rent out the cabin for 35 bucks a night... I ended up patching the windows with tinfoil and tape. The folks that stayed in that tent were way more comfortable than we were in that cabin. They had a little fold up stove that kept it toasty and warm. the double hull on the tent provided a little insulation factor and the stove was tight enough to keep a fire going all night without having to bring along a cub scout to fuel it constantly.
    I have a good Wiggy bag, and nice sleeping pad, so I stayed warm, but my pard's did not fair as well. they had bags rated to -10, and they had therma-rest pads, but got cold at night with the ambient temp dropping to -15. Anyway.. I did just fine and had a grand time. went up on the glaciers the the south of upper russian lake, that was quite a ride to get up there. the one fellow with me rolled his polaris down the mountain. his son said it rolled 8 times and did 2 end-os before stopping.
    No real damage though as the windshield popped loose like it should.
    The next day we talked our new friends from the tent into taking a day trip over to Lost lake. that was a 107 mile round trip with all the playing. I took extra gas, and a good thing as some of the sleds needed some to get back to the upper russian that afternoon. We looked over Seward and could see the cars going along the roads.
    then over to Primrose trail and looking down on Kenai lake and over at the mountains up toward Snow river and Grand View.
    we played in the tree's and the gullies along the way.. had a grand time.
    pulled out Sunday morning about 10 am under clear blue skies... Spring riding is the greatest with all that daylight and the good weather.
    Max