Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Source for non toxic (not steel) shot

Default Source for non toxic (not steel) shot

Not sure if this is the right place for this but here goes. Does anyone know of a local (or internet) place that sells either Bismuth or Tungsten-Matrix shot shells in 12 and 20 ga? I've called and looked everywhere with no luck.

Sportsmans usually has them. You can get them from cabelas or midway as well
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Have you actually purchased (or at least seen them) at Sportsman's? I called those guys a while back and they didn't even know what it was; the guy there told me that their only non toxic shot was steel. Cabela's and Bass Pro have been "sold out" since early spring.

However, I appreciate your mentioning of Midway. I had checked their site before, to no avail, but today I realized that I might be searching using the wrong keywords. Apparently, Fiocchi makes a "Tundra" line of Tungsten specifically marketed for older guns. Sadly, Midway (and probably anyone using UPS) will not ship to Alaska, so now I guess I MUST find a local source. Besides, the "HAZMAT fees are more than 1/3 more than the actual cost of the ammo, more than doubling the total coast to mail order.(From $23 a box to $58, not inclusive of actual shipping costs.) Anyone have any suggestions?

A couple of years ago I bought Kent Impact at sportsmans. I have also bought bismith at Boondocks, but their stock was limited to weird chamber length stuff at that time.

Sadly you have to go into the store and see what is on the shelf. The guy low enough on the pecking order to have to answer the phone might not be the best source of info.

Sportsmans should have several options for non toxic non steel ammo. The last time I shopped for any was after the buy out/sell off and they had just restocked with lots of stuff. Lots of the Envirometal stuff and Remy tungsten.

I have bought bismuth at sportsmans quite a few times. They guy you talked to probably didn't know what he was talking about. They usually carry hevi-shot as well. With waterfowl season right around the corner, I would think they would have some stocked up. As mentioned earlier Boondocks is usually another good option.

Hevishot = steel (doesn't it?) But I'm going in there today.

Edit: It is steel. I just checked hevishot.com. It's "...layers of premium steel..."

Quote Originally Posted by FL2AK-Old Town View Post
    Hevishot = steel (doesn't it?) But I'm going in there today.

Edit: It is steel. I just checked hevishot.com. It's "...layers of premium steel..."
    their product "hevi-metal" has a layer of steel behind a layer of tungsten hevi-shot. dont confuse the type of shell load being marketed with their other products. their hevi-shot classic doubles load is specifically for older guns that are lead shot only.

Thanks, Ray. I saw that before I headed out to Sportsman's today so I at least had an additional item to look for. Sadly, Sportsman's had NO non steel non toxic shot at all and I could get from the clerk and the manager was a very vague "we might get some in a couple of week son one of the trucks." No details on what exactly or even what day the truck comes. Boondocks told me that they haven't carried bismuth or tungsten in years now. Great Northern Guns won't have any until after the season opens at best. Mtn. View Sports offered to try and special order some for me. So if that works, great, if not, I won't hunt this year, other than grouse anyway. My next trip to the Lower 48 you can bet on what I'm carrying back. What I want to know is how are all of these retailers getting ammo if all ammo has to be shipped ground, yet all orders to AK must be shipped by air.

Don't do it, it does posion the ducks and the environment. If you insist on using lead, I hope you get caught. Bud
    Wasilla

I think Mountain View sports has bismouth. Bud
    Wasilla

they order it by the container truck load, and it is shipped by barge. the one issue for them is if they order too much of something that does not sell then they are stuck with it on their inventory for years. i recall lots of heavy-shot sitting on a shelf for years at sportsman's. i guess they finally sold it all.

The national system puts out duck ammo orders in Septmber about two weeks before the majority of the seasons open. too late for us up here.

You can still order ammo through retail (macks or rogers) and have it shipped up. it just costs way too much since its in case lots. UPS ground just costs lots when it is by air.

i tried to buy while out of state, but ran into the same issue - what i wanted was not in stock (20g and 16g kent impact or classic doubles). If you have family outside have it shipped to them and then bring it back up in luggage.

You're reading my mind, Ray. lol. I'm flying south in the summer and driving back up with my Dad's bass boat and my canoe. You can bet I"m going to buy multiple cases of ammo locally and load it in the truck. I SHOULD have done it this year's trip, but I already had two ammo cans full plus a few pounds of powder, primer, and projectiles.

At this point, I'm counting on Mtn View being able to order it for me at a price I can afford. (Fingers Crossed)

Quote Originally Posted by akblackdawg View Post
    Don't do it, it does posion the ducks and the environment. If you insist on using lead, I hope you get caught. Bud
    who is this directed at? nobody has mentioned using lead shot.

At me (and well deserved); I deleted the original post made out of a sense of frustration.

What is wrong with using steel shot? Lots of us use it. I find bismuth, tungsten, or hevi-shot to be a waste of money if you are hunting over decoys. Just use some 2 3/4 #2s and you will do fine. Are you using an old gun that won't handle steel shot? If that is the case, you can probably go buy an 870 for that extra money you are spending on bismuth shot shells.

Yeah, my Model 12 was built in 1935, and my Model 50 in 1950 or 51. Both have been in our family for generations; I have no intention of giving them up.

But you're right,I could buy a Mossberg 500 for less than the cost of a case of ammo. I just like the old ways, I guess. (You should have heard the choice words I had when I learned that my two stroke outboard was banned on the Kenai in June lol.)

Preseason order a case you can save some money and if you dont use it that year it doesn't have a shelf life. Fiochi makes some good stuff I ordered a case of tundra for this year well see how it matches up I'm sure it will do well

I can understand what you are saying, old gear is neat to use. I would value shooting my Dad's old 11-87 more than I would shooting by SBE. I got to hunt over some paper mache decoys a couple years back, and I thought that was really neat. I may also be in the market for some bismuth, I just bought a Browning A-5 sweet 16, however it has a full choke. I will probably have to see if I can find another barrel for it, use it for upland birds, or shoot bismuth/tungsten. But when I look at the price of those shells I cringe.

Well I'm very glad to hear that there are others here who are till shooting the older guns. AKAir, from who did you order your Fiocchi Tundra? I'm thinking that I would like either that or the Kent stuff, but at this point, I'll take what I can get. On a side note, would anyone have any interest in sharing the cost on case lots of special-ordered ammo? I cant afford a full case at the moment, and I'd be happy to split one up. (I'm unsure if Mtn View has a minimum qty to special order, but I would think that they would. I'm trying to get in there before weeks end and find out.)

How long did you spend looking for ammo?

I googled "bismuth shotgun shells", and checked two places, the first only had .410, the second had everything by many manufacturers, then I checked the shipping, they'll ship UPS air.

Took me about 2 minutes or so.

http://www.ammo-sale.com

http://www.mackspw.com/
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast