Thread: Carrot, Potato & Beet storage

Default Carrot, Potato & Beet storage

Hi, just wanted to see if anyone had suggestions for storage of carrots, potatoes and beets. I know the beets should be cut off the stalks, leaving an inch. We don't have a root cellar. I have seen people suggest storage in containers with a damp media like sand. looking to store through winter here in anchorage. will a container in a dark place in my garage work? garage is usually 45-55 degrees. any help is appreciated! thanks

Should try for a little cooler like in the 40degree range .the sand is a good idea for the carrots if it is to warm you might try putting them on a outside wall and put something over them to use the cold from the wall and not the heat from the garage. Good Luck

thanks for the quick reply. maybe layered in sand and in our backyard shed? while very cold, being in a shed and in sand should allow them to go to real low anchorage temps?

thanks

You do not want to put them in a area with no heat as they will freeze.

I have storage down under my house that is not heated also I have jugs of stored water under there that does not freeze so I am thinking I will be fine and on the real cold streaches I will just put a lightbulb under there to keep it above freezing
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

As a kid, my parents kept veggies fresh in the basement all year long. As people mentioned, you need a place that is cool and dry. My dad use to inspect each and every potato before he put in into the bin which was just a 2X12 pen with a sawdust floor. He wanted to make sure each potato that went into the bin was not cut or skin ripped. If it does, once one rots, it will take the rest with them. About 1/2 way through winter, he would go through each one again, and any of them starting germinate, he would pull off the roots. Carrots, he keeps in a seperate bin and covers them with sawdust. Keeps them cool and dry. Beets were mostly canned or blanched or frozen, but at times they would dip the beet as well as turnips into a melted parifin wax, then placed in a cooler in news paper. Good Luck!

Canning is easy and you can store 'em without worry then.
    BK