Thread: Grouse hunting in the rain....

Default Grouse hunting in the rain....

Went out to Pt. Mac yesterday with some friends. All we got was wet, but we had a fun time anyway.

Either there are not many birds out where we were or they were hunkered down to keep out of the rain and wind. We only saw 2 and they flushed into some really thick stuff so we opted to let them be. We did find a potential new bunny hunting spot for this winter.

One of our friends had an interesting encounter though. He came out late and pulled of to the side of the road till he could figure out where we were. Once we made contact (about an hour later) he started to drive off when some lady pulled in front of him and literally cut him off and stopped in the middle of the road like she was a cop or something. He nearly hit her car (with her three kids in the back seat) and she got out and started to give him the what for for parking next to private property. He was in a pull off and not on anyone's land. He tried to tell her that he was going to meet up with some friends who were hunting and all that did was set her off even more. Guess she thought we were hunting on the private land by where he was parked (which was not hers) and started to lay into him about how there were 500 parcels of private land and he could not hunt there, blah, blah, blah.... He laughed at her for her ranting over his parking habits and drove off. We were walking trails on public land some two miles away at the time.

He had seen this woman driving in and out of her driveway from the farm across the road from where he was parked a few times while he was there. Curious why she waited till he started to drive off before she decided to talk to him. Guess she liked to play cop chase with a car full of kids or something. I know the locals get a bit weary of folks roaming on their property, but to try and get after a guy for parking in a pull out is a bit much.
    Just a bitter Alaskan clinging to his guns and religion.....

Grouse have to eat, but in inclement weather will sit on a spruce tree branch right up close to the trunk all day to avoid getting soaked and will only venture out for a quick meal, then right back to their hiding place. Often a grouse will stage under the low hanging branches of a large spruce tree; the large, heavy branches that reach out and nearly touch the ground. They might sit there all day, or just while they check out the surroundings before venturing out for a quick meal.

Jim

I have been out in the rain in years past and done pretty well. But Friday it was raining pretty heavy and the wind was picking up as the day wore on. Was without a doubt the worst weather I have ever tried to hunt grouse in.

About the only reason we went was to just get out into the woods and enjoy ourselves. Not too often that all of us have the same day off anymore.
    Just a bitter Alaskan clinging to his guns and religion.....

well, when the sun comes out and things start to warm a bit i'd bet they'll be coming out to enjoy it like the rest of us
    edit signature here

I tend to not even bother going out bird hunting when its raining. Every time I have gone in the rain I never get any birds and just get a rusty shotgun that I have to clean and oil. I have found some of the best days bird hunting I have every had are cloudy but not raining or blowing cold days. It seems like on cold days the birds are more active. But no matter the waether or wehter or no you get anything a bad day of hunting sure beats a good day at work.

yep, I went out to point mac a few weeks ago it was dumping rain the whole time, I saw 3 birds in 8 hours. I normally get 8-10 in that spot a day. not really worth it in the rain.