Thread: HELP!!!!!! Please

Smile HELP!!!!!! Please

Hey Fellas. I don't want anybodys secret spot, but, can anyone please point me in a direction of where I can find some birds. I have a leuwellyn setter who loves to hunt but he's getting up there in age. However, he still like to hunt birds. My problem is the fact that all the places I used to hunt, 25 years ago, are all gone, and except for driving all the way up to Denali, I have no clue on where to go. Is Hatchers Pass still a good spot? Any help guys would really be appreciated.

Mr. Sleater,

Always willing to help another pointing dog, especially an older one!

Hatcher's Pass is still okay for ptarmigan up high, spruce grouse down low. But if your dog is old it could be too hard on him to have to scour vast areas of high country for birds. The Denali Highway would still be your best bet for ptarmigan where you hunt birds closer to the road. But closer to Anchorage I'd go up toward the Sutton area and hunt trail edges and aspen hillsides for ruffs and spruce grouse. On up toward Willow and beyond you'll find spruce grouse scattered along two-track roads and trails here and there. If you get down on the Kenai Peninsula there are lots of spruce grouse along every dirt road and trail but the ptarmigan are a tough climb. Beyond this sparse information I've not sought birds in your area for a very long time 'cause I live in the heart of Alaska's finest upland bird hunting here in the interior. If no one from your area chimes in - and I bet they will very soon - I'd make a trip to ADF&G and someone will give you good scoop on where to find birds.

I wish you and your setter the best this hunting season!

Jim

Mr. Sleater,
    Jim covered it pretty well, I'd add that you might want to look into hunting on Ft. Rich. There are a few birds left in there and you can find areas that will work for your dog. You might also look around in the Chickaloon River area.

I've done better in Hatcher's Pass later in the winter when the snow pack is deeper. Good Luck.

Tyler

Close to Anchorage try any of the trails down on the Kenai Pinnsula. Some of the trails the first part of the hike are pretty hard but once you get up into the mountain passes they level out. The Eureka area isnt bad for birds either. I know how you fell about going to places that you use to hunt and know are shot out. I am 20 and some of the places I use to go when I first started upland bird hunting with my neighbor that we would get 6-8 birds each in about an hour when I was 14 are know shot out.

Quote Originally Posted by akmikey907 View Post
    try any of the trails down on the Kenai Pinnsula
    I've found 1 bird in 3 trips this year in places i've had little trouble in years past, doesn't seem like a good start to this season to me.