Thread: Quick turn around caribou...

Default Quick turn around caribou...

A buddy and I planned on taking the day and going out for caribou down on the Denali Highway looking to fill our Fed tags, we knew several good spots and both of us had been successful there in the past. We loaded up the boat, gassed up the truck and headed down there at 0'dark hundred for a day of fishing and looking for caribou around the Tangles and Paxson Lakes.

Well at 7:00a as we rolled down Denali Highway we spotted a small group of bou about 300 yards from the road in the first Federal area...by 7:15 we had two skillet size down and by 8:15a we were headed back to town with two gutted bou in the pickup. By 12:30 we had the skinning and butchering chores done and 300 pounds of critter dropped off at Delta Meat. By 2:00p we had lunch eaten, gear put away and the truck hosed out. Thankful there's a little less air in the freezer this winter but I kinda wished we had had to hunt a little harder for it...I won't look a gift bou in the mouth though. From dropping the hammer to dropping off the meat took 5 hours.

Boat never even made it to the water.

Probably the quickest successful hunt I've ever had.

Gotcha beat Hodgeman, lol. Took off from thae lake at almost dark a few years ago , heading for the cabin, and as soon as I hit the Tanana on the othe side was a small bull and it was hung in the shed ( quartered ) and I was in bed with the wife 3 hours after I took off.

Congrats on the hunt.

I had so much fun the first day I couldn't help myself and went back for seconds.

My 10 year old had been bummed he got left behind on Fri for school so I took him and the missus out on Sat afternoon for berries and to see if we could connect on a second tag. The bou were all over with several other hunting parties being successful. We parked down at Octopus Lake, ate lunch and watched the herds move through. We left the wife in the van to pick berries and let the dog go for a swim and went down the drainage to see if we could connect.

We got on top of a small rise and watched the bou just wandering all around us in groups of 5 or 6. In about an hour a small bull started moving our way and would pass about 1/4 mile to the north. We backed off the hill a ways out of sight, crossed a creek and I followed Evan to close the distance to about 100yards as he made a great stalk. Mom got to watch the whole thing through the spotter. She even got to help some other folks locate their party with the spotter.

The .300 made quick work of the shooting chore and Evan couldn't have been happier with the bull down quickly with a single shot. I got to teach him how to field dress and he (squeamishly at first) helped with the skinning process.

Great day of hunting with the family and putting some great meat in the freezer. We started hunting at 3:00p, had the bull down at 6:00p and were home by 10:00p with the meat cleaned and hung. I'm afraid Evan will be spoiled with that one under his belt.
    DSCN6087.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    300 pounds of critter dropped off at Delta Meat.
    Federal subsistence hunters are supposed to do their own butchering!!!!!!!!!! Haha! j/k
    Your fortunate to have the use of fed tags.
    Looks like the boy is pretty happy! Good going.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Nice !!!....way to see the little ones get in on the hunt.

Chuck

Awesome job....I agree with kahahawai...it is so cool to see the kids out there participating and having a great time!