Thread: 358WIn + 200gr FTX Load

Default 358WIn + 200gr FTX Load

I'm looking for any load info for this combo. I see a bunch of inconclusive data on various boards but nothing concrete. I want to perform some bullet testing with these just to see how they hold up to velocities up to 2500fps.

This will be out of a BLR with a 20" barrel and 2.830 max OAL. I currently have IMR-3031, IMR-4064, H-4895 and Varget available.

I have a few loads in mind based upon 356Win data with these same bullets and 358Win data using 200gr PSP and Spire point bullets. Figured it never hurts to ask and I know there a few sage 358Win users here.

Thanks for your comments.

As far as I can tell about the only difference between the Leverlution bullets and STD Hornady spire points is the flex tip. I have sectioned a number of them in the different calibers and they aren't heavy jacketed or anything special like that. So I would think there would be no problems using Hornady 200gr spire point data but if you really want to be on the safe side you could start with data for their 225 and work your way up.

Let me know how it worked. I am loading the Hornady 200 grn SP for my BLR. Got it ported for my kid, and it is noisy.
    My child was inmate of the month at Mat-Su pre-trial Correctional facility.

The standard 200 grain spire is a dandy 358 Winnie bullet on top of WW-748. I'd expect the same for the lever version, but for a lot more money.

I bought these as blemished from Midway in a value pack hoping to get the Hornady Spire points. Oh well... I've heard they're a bit softer than the spire points but I haven't cut one open, thanks for the info Kid.

They have a higher BC and less bearing surface than the 200gr Spire points so I was going to start a bit lower than the spire points. I conjured up some guesstimates on a few powders I've had success with based upon Hornady's 356Win data for the same bullet and my 200gr PSP and SP loads for this BLR.

I just received some Quickload data and it looks very similar to the other 200gr bullets as you stated.

BB - Based upon other recommendations and yours, W-748 will be used along with H-4895, Varget and possibly H-322.

I'll see what they do when exposed to some water jugs at 25-2600fps.

Thanks.

I think the 200gr spire point will work better for the 358win. Its what i use and its a fast expander at 2480 fps. The flextip was made for the 35rem and should be too lightly jacketed for the 358win.

I have not sectioned a standard Spire point for comparison but the smaller caliber FTX bullets seem to be more stoutly constructed than the 45-70 version. The jackets on the .30,.338, and .358 bullets, while not being thick like a Kodiak bonded core, are somewhat thicker than the .458 model. I expect they should do OK at .358win speeds, not the bullet I would pick for breaking big bones on moose or brownbear but I think they will do fine on lighter game or ribcage shots on moose and such.

Quote Originally Posted by ANGCorsair View Post
    I'm looking for any load info for this combo. I see a bunch of inconclusive data on various boards but nothing concrete. I want to perform some bullet testing with these just to see how they hold up to velocities up to 2500fps.

This will be out of a BLR with a 20" barrel and 2.830 max OAL. I currently have IMR-3031, IMR-4064, H-4895 and Varget available.

I have a few loads in mind based upon 356Win data with these same bullets and 358Win data using 200gr PSP and Spire point bullets. Figured it never hurts to ask and I know there a few sage 358Win users here.

Thanks for your comments.
    Don't use this bullet in the 358. I shot a moose with this bullet handloaded for my 358 and I ended up with a bunch of blood shot front quarter. The core seperated from the jacket and the jacket and fragments made a bloody mess of the exit-side shoulder. If you want a cheep bullet.....go for 250 grain speer hot cor.

Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    Don't use this bullet in the 358. I shot a moose with this bullet handloaded for my 358 and I ended up with a bunch of blood shot front quarter. The core seperated from the jacket and the jacket and fragments made a bloody mess of the exit-side shoulder. If you want a cheep bullet.....go for 250 grain speer hot cor.
    I agree with mainer on this. I've killed numerous whitetails with the 200 grain Interlock (258 Winchester 2500 fps) and while its performance was sufficient, in fact it was impressive, for 175 pound bucks it was clearly not designed with large animals in mind. I'd look towards the 225 Sierra if a C&C bullet was desired or again as mainer suggests, the 250 Speer Hot-Cor. I get excellent accuracy with the Speer and 2300+ fps with a 20 inch barrel.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

I was hoping for the Interlocks or Rem PSPCL when I ordered these. I'm not going to hunt with these. I plan on working these up to 2500fps and see what they'll do in water jugs to compare them with the Rem and Hornady 200gr SPs. I think I'll cut up one of each of these 200gr bullets and compare the jackets.

I have SGKs, NPs and GS for my hunting loads.

I'll load up some light loads with these FTX and use them for range fun. Get my son and nephew behind this BLR and start working them into full loads. I don't know any 35Rem users that I can gift or trade with so I'll use em up.

Thanks for the heads up tho with that moose kill.

Varget makes great lite 358win load with either the fx or corelokt rn 200 grainers. 2300-2380 and they will work fine for deer sized stuff.