Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Where are the Seward Silvers?

Default Where are the Seward Silvers?

I had good catches last Friday and Saturday at Seward (in the bay), but died on Tuesday and Wednesday. Did others find it tough this week?

I'm in a Kayak so I have to stay close.

July 31, just outside of Miller's landing, I have one of my best silver days ever! over two dozen hook ups, easy limit. In fact I had so many hits, I got two mooching and one trolling strike on video.

Next two weekends were ok, three silvers kept the first weekend, then a dozen strikes and 5 landed on Sunday (after getting blanked Saturday)

This wednesday, nothing by Miller's Landing and most of my 8 strikes (during an 11 hour day) and three landed came out by Caines Head with a few by Tonsina Creek.

So instead of getting better closer to town, it's gotten progressively worse for me and the beach crowd. I assumed all the fish must have moved out to the opening of the Bay.

I just talked to someone whose dad is fishing out by Caines Head right now. Said he had 5 in the box, but I didn't ask him how long that took.

This is about the time of year that fishing in the Bay is tough. There are tons of fish, but they are commonly spread all over the place. The usual spots may produce. Or, they may not at all. The stormy weather sometimes gives them lockjaw....And now, early in the morning is a prime time to fish if you can get a good tide as they are more willing to cooperate with biting a hook then. This is just my experience. Your results may vary......

Quote Originally Posted by skydiver View Post
    I just talked to someone whose dad is fishing out by Caines Head right now. Said he had 5 in the box, but I didn't ask him how long that took.
    Ask how many rods he had out too.....

But I didn't see five fish caught I don't think by the 5 or so boats I was out there with on Wednesday over about the 3 hours I was out at Caines Head. So it sounds better....

Quote Originally Posted by T.R. Bauer View Post
    This is about the time of year that fishing in the Bay is tough. There are tons of fish, but they are commonly spread all over the place. The usual spots may produce. Or, they may not at all. The stormy weather sometimes gives them lockjaw....And now, early in the morning is a prime time to fish if you can get a good tide as they are more willing to cooperate with biting a hook then. This is just my experience. Your results may vary......
    I have noticed that its harder to chase down the schools by visual jumpers as they seem to randomly pop out of the water everywhere right now though a lot fewer in total. A few weeks ago, they seemed to be in "lanes" either in very shallow water right against shore or at 100-120 Ft of water. Wednesday I had hits from 30 ft of water depth to past sonar range (500ft). So it fits your theory that they are spread out. I can say that the fish I lately I hit close to shore have set scales and look like in-river fish. Out past 100ft, they are all the "typical" saltwater silvers with very loose scales and seem a bit softer. Almost like two completely different sets of fish.

I think that everyone has gotten really good at intercepting fish early June and July, further out and by the time August hits it is mostly fished out. In early July we limited at Pony in two hours with five guy's on board. Last summer on August 22 we trolled the whole day mostly in close without a strike.

Caught three (lost one) in an hour trolling south of Fox Is yesterday. What I noticed were the strikes were further out from structure. Earlier this year, the fish were closer in. We left the bay to fill our limit in less than 2 hours. I talked to a few others and they said the bite was off by mid afternoon. Early AM was pretty good for some in the same area I was fishing. We did not head out today.

It's funny how silvers work. Last year I got skunked on the Friday before Labor Day in the Bay. On Sat, Sun, and Monday we went over to Johnstone Bay and there were tons of them extremely willing to bite right by the stream that empties into the bay. We limited the whole boat in a matter of minutes. I went back there about 2 weeks later when the next batch of nice weather hit, and there were a few jumpers, the halibut were gone, and there were skates on every single time I lowered a hook down. Interestingly, the didn't act like skates as they actually fought hard. I clearly don't understand fish behavior and their movements very well during the fringes of the season.

Caught 44 silvers yesterday ( Friday) at Hive and Fox Island. Today I struggled to end up with 22 fishing Hive, Fox, Caines, Derby Cove, Thumb Point. Clearly slower all the way around today. Seemed like a morning bite. Outside the bay all the usualy locations have been steady and good as long as you are not fishing during the slack. If you missed them at johnstone, it was probabaly only by 100 yards or less. use you fish finder to located them before drifting or anchoring at this time of year. The schools are tight.

Could it be that the City of Seward decision not to purchase smolt a few years back had caught up with them. None of these si\vers are destined for inside Res Bay. all are just driving by to elsewhere

I would say this years silver fishing both in the bay and along the coast has been the best in 8 years or so. The way the enhanced salmon were being put in the bay was not a great way to ensure survival. There is talk of putting smolt into a rearing pen in the future to get a better return. In my opinion, the bag limit should be reduced to 3 salmon until August 1 or draw line from Caines head to Thumb cove north of the line is 6 fish and south of the line is 6 fish. That would allow small boaters and shore fishermen a shot at more salmon later in the run. The enhancment accounted for about 50% of the fish in the bay the rest are wild fish. Either way there are too many being caught too early to insure enough fish to be caught later in the season in the bay....

I agree 100%. Although being good. I remember when I was a kid, it was much much better than it is now. And closer in towards Seward. Makes it hard for the small guy to get any fish when they are all taken in the early season. The days of fish bouncing off the side of the boat right near Lowell point are gone. I don't have the means to run out where the guys in the bigger boats go to intercept them before the end of July. I've had much better luck out of homer for silvers the past few years because of this. With larger fish on average to boot. I just like Seward better and wish the fishing could be again like it was as a kid and why it was so memorable.

When it rains the creek fills with water and the fish start to push upstream. Either catch them at the the head of the bay or at the the the mouth. When the weather has been nice (no rain) they can be found all ovr the bay just waiting to swim upstream. This year it started rain the same day the salmon derby started, so the rivers rose & the fish started to push. Its either catch old fish or new fish but not alot in the middle...

Hopefully it will pick up inside the bay, nothing beats being able to fish for a whole weekend on a single tank!

Fished half day (4 hours) on Sunday out of the yak. 3 salmon for 5 hook ups. One was a pink though.

Slow close in for me. But weather was great till the end when it rained a little.

Bottom fished the rest of the time. Tons of cod. Lost a small butt. You can definitely tell a halibut when you hook one. Even if it's a small one.

Quote Originally Posted by Kardinal_84 View Post
    Fished half day (4 hours) on Sunday out of the yak. 3 salmon for 5 hook ups. One was a pink though.

Slow close in for me. But weather was great till the end when it rained a little.

Bottom fished the rest of the time. Tons of cod. Lost a small butt. You can definitely tell a halibut when you hook one. Even if it's a small one.

Rudy,
    I want to see that Yak in Valdez one of these days. I bet you could catch 30 fish in a day there. Would be neat to see you do it.

Quote Originally Posted by qkayak View Post
    Rudy,
    I want to see that Yak in Valdez one of these days. I bet you could catch 30 fish in a day there. Would be neat to see you do it.
    What's the outlook for silvers the next two weekends? I guess I can research that here. More specifically, if you know the area, could you let me know or PM me where you would launch from and any general strategies? I may just take you up on that! Sounds like a BLAST! I have maybe a 5 to 6 mile range one way on a typical day trip if I am fishing. 3 miles would be a LOT easier and offer more fishing.

why does the water always look so calm when you are over there? LOL! is it because you go in the morning? i was there yesterday afternoon in my skiff and it was brutal. i didnt even get a chance to drop a line in the water and had to pull out because i didnt want to risk taking on water.

Nice Silver Rudy-san!!! What do you think it weighed?

PM sent to you

What's the outlook for silvers the next two weekends? I guess I can research that here. More specifically, if you know the area, could you let me know or PM me where you would launch from and any general strategies? I may just take you up on that! Sounds like a BLAST! I have maybe a 5 to 6 mile range one way on a typical day trip if I am fishing. 3 miles would be a LOT easier and offer more fishing.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast