Page 1 of 25 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Commercial fishermen are castrating the sportfishing in Alaska

Default Commercial fishermen are castrating the sportfishing in Alaska

This morning I stood on the banks of the Knik River at the Eklutna tailrace chatting with one of the longtime residents of this great state. This gentleman has been fishing the tailrace for a number of years and spent some time telling me about days gone by when a person could limit out easily at the tailrace. We stood there chatting and lamenting about days gone by.

As I stood there fishing I thought about what the commercial fishing industry is doing to the salmon population and to sportfishing in Alaska. The conclusion I have come to is that the commercial fishing industry is essentially castrating sportfishing in Alaska.

Bear with me here. We're all familiar with the birds and the bees. If we took every male worldwide from today forward and castrated them at birth, then right around 100 years from now there wouldn't be a soul left on this planet. The same thing is happening to our salmon. The commercial fleets are dropping their nets at the mouth of the rivers and have been doing so for a number of years now. As such, the necessary act of salmon getting upriver to spawn and thus produce a next generation has essentially been stopped. Sure, a few manage to get past the nets, but not the numbers that used to and now look at what we're left with.

Maybe I'm out in left field on this one but I don't think so. Do we as sportfishermen have a voice or any power at all to limit the commercial fishing and the castration of our salmon sportfishing?

Which came first.

The Commercial Salmon Fleet?

The population explosion of Local and Non-Resident Sport Anglers?

The Fishing Guide industry?
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

It's absolutely amazing the stuff folks come up with when they don't limit out in 10 minutes! I wonder what the conversation would have been had these guys caught a couple fish??

Quote Originally Posted by Frostbitten View Post
    It's absolutely amazing the stuff folks come up with when they don't limit out in 10 minutes! I wonder what the conversation would have been had these guys caught a couple fish??

That the Evil Biologists had curtailed the Commercial Fishing Fleet too soon and now the watershed was going to have an overescapement issue resulting in de-oxygenation..
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

why is it that every one seems to think the grass is greener on the other side? It seems every time there is a run that doesn't meet "their" expectations they point the finger at the comm guys?????????? They should take a class on the eco system of the rivers they fish, then maybe they would realize how every thing you do in the river affects the watershed.

Oh my Christ, here we go again. "I don't know enough about salmon life cycle and/or can't catch any fish so I'll blame the comm fleets". This crap is getting old. Please do some research first.
    Alaska: We're all here cuz we're not all "there"

Quote Originally Posted by Raptor_1 View Post
    Oh my Christ, here we go again. "I don't know enough about salmon life cycle and/or can't catch any fish so I'll blame the comm fleets". This crap is getting old. Please do some research first.

lol

You do realize that by catching fish in the river or not you are doing the same thing but at a lower volume.....how many other pole benders were on ther river with you? Anyone who is out fishing and complaining about the fishing quality is pretty much as guilty as anyone else.

Quoted from Fishgod on the Russian River thread

the cause. Biological? .Bravo, well said! Rep. coming your way. There are soo many pieces of the pie, that some forget about such pieces that you stated. They are quick to jump on the tangible (commfish), and fail to look deeper into other possabilities. If such people knew the salmon lifecycle, they would know that only 20 out of every 100 eggs laid by the female survive to become fry. Only 10 out of every 100 fry find adequate habitat, the rest die. This is all before the smolt stage. What people don't see happen in front of their face, they tend to ignore. The point is, there are MANY other inriver factors that effect the lifecycle of salmon and some people need to focus their efforts here.

Bingo . . .

My son-in-law has fished the Eklutna tailrace a couple-three times this fall and has put, I think, three or so silvers in the freezer already . . hasn't been skunked.

this might be a little off, but still close enough to count....
    How many of you have caught a tagged fish in the Susitna Drainages...???
    ADF&G has 4 (four) fish wheels churning down below the confluence of the yentna... on the big Su.... they are tagging just about everything they catch... I imagine to get a better picture of the salmon distribution.... So... If you catch a tagged fish, be sure to call it in to help them with their study... To date, I've caught 2 tagged coho at the Deshka, and a friend caught a tagged pink at Montana ck...

Quote Originally Posted by Yellowstone View Post
    This morning I stood on the banks of the Knik River at the Eklutna tailrace......Maybe I'm out in left field on this one but I don't think so. Do we as sportfishermen have a voice or any power at all to limit the commercial fishing and the castration of our salmon sportfishing?
    while i do understand, as most who have posted in your thread do, you are frustrated. let me assure you you are in fact in left field, because what you said, how you put it-"do we as sportsfishermen have a voice or any power at all to limit commmm" and that is where you went wrong. to target comm fishing is wrong because they are just another user group. i knjow the idea of big nets, and commercial harvest can seem daunting, yes they can and do put the hurt on what gets through. when there nets are out they swoop em up in piles. but they are regulated just in a different way. with salmon, managers target specific in river escapment goals. for example where you were, i usta fish there. did you know there was an old junk yard there before the new facilites they have now, well the best thing there for silvers (unless your kingin there) is get there way early in the morning, don't waste time fishing for silvers in the rivers when the sun is shinning, ect. much you may already know, but no matter what your skill level, there is always more to learn, comm fishers aren't castraters their masterbaiters. or that is one job you can get working on a ship, but it ain't them. when the fish are in, there in.

please don't misunderstand my view, sport users (hunting and fishing) are getting reamed i agree but in a different way. sporties by and large pay the bills, but to seize power from other user groups was a poor choice of words. a lot of old timers knew glory days and did infact bust into somewhat considered virgin territory in our great state in so many ways, then you have the indiginous peoples of this land. i bet the old timer you spoke with probably had some people think he screwed up there fishing, and so it goes.

i hope you get back pout there asap. there are some fat silvers at eklutna, i got one i'd say was 20 lbs there maybe 10 years ago. get there at the crack-a-doodle-do of 1st morning light. rigg this way bobber on end of line, weightsabove bobber, eggs on line are closest thing to you, that way they run with it a bit before they feel resistiance. you can see or feel your line move before they know it is in there mouth. THEN WAM!!!

it anit those commies bro, it's you. get back out there and get fishing!!!
    edit signature here

From years of fishing in the Russian and in the area around the ferry the fact is that few people even catch any fish at all. The F&G has some interesting statistics avaliable - if I recall the last ones I saw showed over one man-day per fish for sockeye.

I personally love to see the kids catch fish. Places like Hope with lots of pinks are great to visit.

Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaHippie View Post
    Which came first.

The Commercial Salmon Fleet?

The population explosion of Local and Non-Resident Sport Anglers?

The Fishing Guide industry?
    My understanding is that it was the native anglers. Then along came the commercial fleets. From my reading back in the early 30's the commercial fleets came up from Seattle and all but wiped out the salmon down along the inner passage. They've done the same thing with the Atlantic salmon back in Maine.

Quote Originally Posted by tvfinak View Post
    From years of fishing in the Russian and in the area around the ferry the fact is that few people even catch any fish at all. The F&G has some interesting statistics avaliable - if I recall the last ones I saw showed over one man-day per fish for sockeye.

I personally love to see the kids catch fish. Places like Hope with lots of pinks are great to visit.
    I appreciate your reply. And I like your message at the bottom of your posts that says "Beware of Prophets seeking Profits". I'm guessing that most of the people that have replied to my post are commercial fishermen (ie. Prophets) seeking Profits. Over one man-day per sockeye, that is a very alarming statistic.

Maybe you commercial guys should take a class on what overharvesting does the the eco system.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
    Bingo . . .

My son-in-law has fished the Eklutna tailrace a couple-three times this fall and has put, I think, three or so silvers in the freezer already . . hasn't been skunked.
    Yep, and how many hours did he put in for those three silvers. And you call that great fishing? LOL

Quote Originally Posted by bowdy15 View Post
    Quoted from Fishgod on the Russian River thread

the cause. Biological? .Bravo, well said! Rep. coming your way. There are soo many pieces of the pie, that some forget about such pieces that you stated. They are quick to jump on the tangible (commfish), and fail to look deeper into other possabilities. If such people knew the salmon lifecycle, they would know that only 20 out of every 100 eggs laid by the female survive to become fry. Only 10 out of every 100 fry find adequate habitat, the rest die. This is all before the smolt stage. What people don't see happen in front of their face, they tend to ignore. The point is, there are MANY other inriver factors that effect the lifecycle of salmon and some people need to focus their efforts here.
    I'm not going to aruge the statistics that you posted. I'm just going to add that if you put a bunch of commercial fishing boats out there at the mouths of the rivers then these salmon don't stand a chance. Time will prove that what I'm saying is correct. Then the commercial guys will move to some other place and deplete that fishery and then the next and the next.

Quote Originally Posted by bowdy15 View Post
    You do realize that by catching fish in the river or not you are doing the same thing but at a lower volume.....how many other pole benders were on ther river with you? Anyone who is out fishing and complaining about the fishing quality is pretty much as guilty as anyone else.
    That is the dumbest argument I've ever heard. The sportfishers are as guilty as the commercial fleets for the lack of silvers making it upriver. LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by Yellowstone View Post
    That is the dumbest argument I've ever heard. The sportfishers are as guilty as the commercial fleets for the lack of silvers making it upriver. LOL.

How do you figure that is the dumbest argument you've ever heard???????? It has more merit then you think.

Page 1 of 25 12311 ... LastLast