Thread: Bayliner 2859 Towing on a Tandem Axle?????

Question Bayliner 2859 Towing on a Tandem Axle?????

Alright I have seen 3 now that are being towed under a tandem axle trailer. These boats are about 18,000 lbs if I remember correctly. Doesnt this seem dangerous!
    i am in the market for one, but I dont want to consider it if I am going to have to buy another trailer to safely tow it.

Quote Originally Posted by powderhound View Post
    Alright I have seen 3 now that are being towed under a tandem axle trailer. These boats are about 18,000 lbs if I remember correctly. Doesnt this seem dangerous!
    i am in the market for one, but I dont want to consider it if I am going to have to buy another trailer to safely tow it.
    I would have a tough time believing they weigh 18K. I would guess closer to 10K loaded and ready to go. I would prefer to have a triple axle sitting below it, though.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

The dry weight of a 2859 is 7,600 lbs.

Install a 3rd axle if there's room on a tandem. Not very expensive to do on your own.
    BK

I have a 2859 and had a tandem axle trailer built for it with 6000 lb axles. I ran the boat (not fully loaded) and trailer across the scales. It weight was 12200 and the tongue weight was right at 900 lb. I nearly lost boat, truck and could of lost a few lives from the trailer failing. I had the trailer rebuilt with 3 axles and there is a big difference in the tow. Although with the tandem axle it towed good, but was just not safe. If you need more info PM me or I would be happy to talk by phone or in person if you are down Homer way.
    Retirement Plan - Having Fun and Still Learning

There is nothing wrong with a tandem, or even single axle trailer if it is rated to carry the load. BTW, there are tandems out there that are rated for 12,000 and more pounds. I have seen many Bayliners 2859s on tandems and they are fine. Now, would I put it on a tandem rated for 6,000 pounds? Heck no!!!! But, if the trailer is rated for the weight, I wouldn't sweat it.

The only issue with upgrading an existing trailer is you still are legally limited to towing the weight on the "sticker" unless you can sweet talk the builder into giving you a different rating, which I never heard of anyone being that lucky.
    Still, it is cheaper to upgrade than buy a new trailer. Just something to consider.

Tires are usually the weakest link. You can have 8,000 pound axles but if both tires on the axle are rated for 3,000 each then you would be maxed out at 6,000
    Tennessee