Thread: First ptarmigan of the year

Default First ptarmigan of the year

A break in the weather sent Winchester and I up to the ptarmigan country on Wednesday. Nice four mile hike up to 3500 feet. Hunted along a scrub willow choked crick bottom that drained into a beautiful mountain lake. Winchester found a covey of whitetails, unfortunately while he was sparrow hunting, which was the main reason for going so early in the year. He caught a sparrow the day before the opener and since believes he is an awesome sparrow hunter, and he is but not exactly what I am looking for in my setter.

Once the covey flushed and scattered we headed into the rocks and shortly Winchester had one on point, which I took and then realized how immature that particular covey was. Decided not to take anymore but did let Winchester go find a couple more and point them up. I deliberately missed them on the flush just to reinforce what it is we are doing. He was still hunting sparrows on the way back down but I think it can be worked out of him with more time on grouse and ptarmigan.
    The ptarmigan is laying on top of the vest, hard to see so small, like a quail.

Winchester 8-17-11 023.jpgWinchester 8-17-11 021.jpg

Good for you two! Looks like a white-tailed ptarmigan?

Jim

First to the well sam! Nice job!

That gets the juices flowing. Good work, I've got a good sparrow dog too but when she hits upland scent she finds an extra gear.
    Go Big Red!

Great job Steve! Winchester looks great. He has matured a ton! I might have to find my way down there some day. White-tail ptarm are on my list :-).
    "If I could shoot a game bird and still not hurt it, the way I can take a trout on a fly and release it, I doubt if I would kill another one." George Bird Evans