Thread: First use of Walk-in Cooler

Default First use of Walk-in Cooler

Got my draw tag punched wednesday evening. Everything was going good untill the moose hit the ground! Seemed like all my equipment went on strike. My hoist broke, I broke a 1 ton come-along, tore up trailer loading her up.
    But still brought her back whole (after gutting of course). Have a 4 1/2 x 9 foot trailer, I could barely get tail gate in with her loaded (back legs pulled up with come along). Then noticed 1500 lb springs were bottomed out on both sides. So had to drive slow getting back to North Pole. What should have been 30 minute load time and an one hour drive, ended up being four hours loading, and 2 1/2 hrs drive back to the house. Then had to skin and quarter in a tight trailer. But, got the quarters and ribs hanging in the walk-in cooler now. I will post a photo of her in the trailer when I get them down loaded. It took two of us to hang the hindquarters. What is really odd is the lack of fat of the carcass, very little around the stomach and NONE on hindquarters. Guess I helped the Old girl out before winter hit.
    Yes, I really do like to bring them back in one piece to keep clean ect.

Chris

Congrats, sounds like a big bertha moose you shot! We got a couple of cows last year that were huge, but they both had decent amounts of fat on them.

Jerod,

No fat and ribs were evident, but she was still huge. Going to use hanging scale to weigh the quarters and ribs as I cut them up.

Also, someone had shot her in the backside with birdshot, looks like about #4 shot. The flies were having field day on the back legs. Must have been fairly close as penetrated the skin and went about 1/2 to 3/4 inch into the meat.

Chris

Hello Chris,
    Must be a chore bringing them out whole - I can't imagine trying that. Post up a picture of your walk in as well if you would. That is one of the next things on my list so I am curious what yours looks like.

As long as you plan ahead and take the right equipment it is easier than cutting up in the field. Best thing is that the meat stays nice and clean till you hang the carcuss at the house.

Chris

Moose on hoist.jpgHere's a photo from the past:

That's a nice setup. Did you load her all up by yourself? Quite the chore if so! That pisses me off someone would pepper her with a shotgun. I wonder what the heck was up with that?! What caliber and bullet did you use? Should be some good eats.

Yes, I loaded her by meself. On this hunt I used a Tikka T3 in 300 WSM w/ a Leupold CDS scope. Harvested her at 40 feet so didn't get to try the scope out for range adjustment. Talked to a welder this AM about fixing the hoist and making it stronger. May try doing two piece this time, to make lighter lifting of hoist- just have to do it twice. Used to put in pick-up bed, now use tilt bed trailer.

Moose in truck.JPG

Chris

Weighed heavist hindquarter last night before deboneing and cutting up. 387 lbs skin off, bone in. Frieded some steaks as was cutting and sure tastes good!

Chris