Thread: Valdez Coho this weekend near town

Default Valdez Coho this weekend near town

I was wondering if the fish near the port this weekend will fight like Seward silvers. Reason I'm asking is I fished valdez 2 years ago the last week of aug till sept 2nd. I was told that was a slow year, we limited every day but had to stay out all day to limit fishing 2 tides. What shocked me....was the fish didnt fight or pull line. Just came right to the boat and flopped around in the cooler ice more after I had whacked them and bled them. They were not blush at all and good sized. Do these fish "give up" when they'd reach their spawning beds near gold creek ? I was disappointed how lazy they were..... I know ....I sound like a coho snob :0)

In my experience, the fight often depends on two things: the fish (they're all different) and how you catch them. To me, troll-caught fish don't fight much at all. That's one of the reasons I don't like to troll except to help locate fish. When I mooch or cast for them, I've had them go pretty much insane in Valdez numerous times. I've had them jump into the side of the boat, the engine, in the boat....

Sounds to me like bad luck. I've caught silvers both places, and they've probably fought equally hard when I've caught them mooching.

I have had the same issue happen a lot more when I fish out of my kayak. They just seem to come right to the boat. The only excitement seems to be if I can reel fast enough to take up slack. Now touch them with a net and then they take off. It's almost like they don't know they are hooked initially. Once they "know" they are at the boat and my net isn't ready, they will begin to battle. It's been a dilemma for me. Net them immediately or enjoy the battle?

The other times I notice silvers don't fight is when I use my super ultralight. Once again, I think its because initially they don't know they are hooked. The more pressure you can put on a fish, the more it "freaks out" and battles has been my observation. So for me, a coho battles much better on 20lbs test then on my 8 pound ultralight... especially at the initially hook up.

So if you are trolling or even mooching while drifting, the fish hits your bait, gets hooked, but is swimming toward the direction the bait was being trolled so I think often times it naturally just "comes to the boat." If you don't mind losing a fish, apply some pressure to the fish, if its at the boat scare it with the net or yank it backwards when it turns away and see if it doesn't battle just like you would expect a silver to.

Just my theory...

Once read a post about flicking your line when bringing up halibut to get them to fight more (the vibrations I am assuming piss them off). Do you think this might work with Silvers. I have definitely had my share of uneventful catches but also had the freak out jump into the motor as well.

Just got back from Valdez the fishing was not worth the drive. Sat was miserable with rain all day. Caught 6 but nothing of any size and no fight out of them at all. In fact the bite while trolling was so light it was hard to tell the fish was on. They don't pull any line at all or jump. They might outside the narrows in PWS, but we were near shoup bay. Today we went back out there and lots of boats trolling with very few hooking up. Saw a lot of boats down at sawmill creek. The early morning bite is the best I have been hearing. I guess I am spoiled from fishing Seward so much the past 10 years. I have fished Valdez only two times and wouldn't bother going back. Scenery is great' but the water is too silty and the fish give up.

Reading this post, I'm thinking this must be Gary B. from Anchorage! This is Anthony up in Fairbanks. Yeah, the silvers didn't fish as much this season. A lot of them I hooked came right towards the boat. I've seen better years for sure. Never made it out to Sawmill Bay/creek to fish them though. Maybe they are better fighters out there.

Hmmm. We caught 18 on Saturday afternoon, 15 on Sunday in 4 hours, and 9 on Monday in 3 hours. Not hot, but not bad. Biggest was 11lb 8oz. Some of the fish made multiple runs tangling multiple lines, multiple fish went under the boat ripping drag and trying to get into the prop. Several fish started jumping way behind the boat and were airborn lots on the way to the boat. Almost all of the fish didn't like seeing the boat or the net.

We had a great time. Weather was pretty awesome for us too! 160 pounds of Fillet for the friends to put in their freezers.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    Hmmm. We caught 18 on Saturday afternoon, 15 on Sunday in 4 hours, and 9 on Monday in 3 hours. Not hot, but not bad. Biggest was 11lb 8oz. Some of the fish made multiple runs tangling multiple lines, multiple fish went under the boat ripping drag and trying to get into the prop. Several fish started jumping way behind the boat and were airborn lots on the way to the boat. Almost all of the fish didn't like seeing the boat or the net.

We had a great time. Weather was pretty awesome for us too! 160 pounds of Fillet for the friends to put in their freezers.
    May I ask How many rods and how far out of Valdez you were? Just general distance, specific location not necessary. Determining my range and watching the weather on Saturday which is not good for the typical places I visit.