Thread: Anyone have Luck Ice Fishing Lately?

Default Anyone have Luck Ice Fishing Lately?

Ice fishing around anchorage and the Mat-Su Valley has been real slow lately for me. Anyone have a good spot to try, any tricks for getting fish to bite in the late winter season. I've tried all the usual, shrimp, eggs, krocodiles, herring. Nothing is working real well this year.

Default me too

I have done ok for pike, but I got skunked twice this year. My last trip was 3 days ago. We went out to Lake Louise and rode the machines out to a lake 25 miles away. It was 37 below out there. We lost 3 fish and landed zero. Fun trip, really beautiful, but bad luck on fishing.
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

I hear the ice is getting super thick and some lakes require two extensions to get thru the ice. Anyone have a report on ice thickness?

I was out at Sand and Little Camplel lakes a couple of days ago, ice was about 42 inches. Dind't have any luck at Sand and some small char and smaller landlocks at Campel.
    FM

We are in the dog days of winter guys fishing wont pick up till the ice thins out. When the ice dose return to a reasonable thickness try wax worms. I know I know are you "kidding me!" Serriously I used to do really well with them in Michigan and here in Alaska when the standard egg, shrimp ect dosent get a hit wax worms often will, at least they have for me. Personally I've been using what little free time I have to get a jump on spring flytieing, snowsheoing to get in shape for huntting, and spending a little extra time at the range.

should be getting better, I hope that theres not ice left on the lakes when I get back in may
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

those fish still need to feed. Lower oxygen levels is usually what slows things down. Smaller and more suttle presentations and they'll still hit. They've still gotta eat to survive!

I went out 5 days ago out at little campbell and barely made it through the ice with my auger, fished for 2 hours and caught 2 of those slimy blackfish, and 1 8 inch char. I was fishing at from 7-9 pm

Default Sand Lake Friday

I fished sand lake friday afternoon for about three hours. Caught six nice char, 12-14 inches. They were biting on cocktail shrimp. Eggs didn't work. I am headed out now to try for the big one. If I put in enough time I am bound to catch one of those big stockers.

Went out to Sand Lake on Saturday, jigging with spoons and caught three decent rainbows. My buddy pulled up a 23 inch char.

I went to University Lake have never ever fished there, spent 3 hours didn't catch anything, I know there is some sources of water flowing in that lake so i drilled next to them thinking more oxygen the fish would be located around there and more active. Anybody else had any luck.