Thread: NR Moose Sealing and Bear Meat question

Default NR Moose Sealing and Bear Meat question

Reading the reg book, I can't tell if I need to get a moose sealed or not (it hasn't been shot yet just hoping to have that problem!). I'll be hunting Unit 12. One part seems to read all moose need sealed, another says sealed in two units (not the two I'll be hunting in). So can someone tell me if I need to get a moose sealed in Unit 12?

We may take an incidental black bear or two. I was shocked to read I can leave the bear meat in the field. I love bear meat and couldn't imagine leaving it in the field. Due to us flying from Pennsylvania there is no way we can take all our meat home. We're planning on donating our meat. Will I be able to give it away? I won't shoot a bear for just the hide. That regulation doesn't seem right to me.

Thanks for all the help. See you guys Sept. 8!

Well the reason there is no requirement to salvage bear meat is because most of the bears been eating salmon for a few months. So with that imagine sinking your teath into a big chunk of meat that tastes like rotten Salmon yum yum.

You found in the Alaska reg book that moose are required to be sealed, really? I have never heard that they need to be sealed. Page 16 of the 2011-2012 reg book lists the animals requiring sealing and moose are not on the list.
    As far as the black bear, take on, there are no shortages of black bears in Alaska. If the bear has been around the salmon streams, 323 is right (did i actually say that? ) Anyway, you can smell dead fish on the bear and the meat. If you are away from the streams and the bear has been eating berries, then go ahead and try it. In your home state there's a shortage of salmon so you won't experience the same problem.

I apologize, moose DO need to be sealed in GMU 7 and 15. The BoG changed the size requirment on the Kenai and that haas lead to the sealing requirment. In GMU 12, you do not need to have moose sealed.

Here is the news release that discusses moose sealing requirements for the Kenai:

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/ho...08-18-2011.pdf
    "Your papers are not in order"