Thread: Pistols for Blacktails?

Default Pistols for Blacktails?

I'll be moving from Dillingham to Juneau in a month or so and am really looking forward to deer hunting. I already started a thread about lever guns for deer and after much good input have decided on finding a Win 94 in decent shape just to enjoy a light carrying, fast shooting gun.

However, smokey's thread about the Pistolas got me thinking about why I see lots of black tail pictures with bows....even recurves and longbows....but few (or none really) with pistols. Do you guys use em, or what's the deal. Seems the pics are either scoped rifles, or bows.

I have a six inch Taurus 357 that I have chased whitetails with before and am confident with as far as I can shoot my bow (read, 40 yards with a rest). It's obviously lighter than other options, and it would sit comfortably in my chest holster, leaving free hands to clutch Devil's club while scaling the hills.

So, what am I missing?

Thanks in Advance.

I've shot a couple of bucks with a S&W 686. One was with a scope and one was iron sighted. Ground sluiced one of the bucks after tracking him down in a heavy snowstorm and finding him bedded down and unaware.

I have a Ruger 480 with a scope and have taken a couple with it. Lot's of fun.

Years ago, I was stationed in Indiana, Shotgun, Muzzloader or Handgun .35 or larger. I came from out west and this was an odd approach. I bought me an XP100 in .35 Rem and put some on them. Grew up with the articles of Bob Milek and never looked back.

I have shot whitetails with 357's and 41 mags - both work fine. I would say 100 yards and under for the 357 and that's got to be a good broadside shot, but due to its pleasant recoil it can be a very accurate hunting gun. Energy charts will surprise most people as the 357 gets passed over by the big thumpers for guys pack'n for big bear protection, but it is a very deadly cartridge. I just bought some 140gn Hornady red tipped bullets I am anxious to load up for this falls season. Gotta trim the brass down which I am not looking forward too but ballistic charts look very inviting....
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

I took a blacktail doe on Kodiak in 2006 w/ my Smith & Wesson Mountain gun in 45 Colt. She was DRT. Was only about a 75 yard shot though, using 300 grain soft points. I believe that load is heavy enough for bears and light enough to harvest deer. Used same load in Texas to take a bunch of whitetails w/ my Blackhawk. My first handgun harvest was w/ a Smith 629 8 3/8' barrel using 270 bullets at 125 yards, that buck ran about 40 to 45 yards before tipping over.

If you are confident w/ your handgun----- you can harvest deer cleanly. The key is the three P's. Practice, practice, and practice!

Chris

Handguns work fine.With the 357 my bride uses the 200gr DT or 180gr BB so the bigger fuzzies are covered also at least in the mind
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

I'll toss out a second for the .35; I had one in a T/C Contender years ago when I lived/taught in a village. I used it for caribou and it worked fine for that. If you decide you want to go the rifle route, a Marlin 336 in .35 handles really well and they can often be found on GunBroker for not a lot of money.