Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Boarded Twice In 4 weeks

Default Boarded Twice In 4 weeks

I have been "boarded" twice in 4 weeks by the Coast Guard and Troopers up on the Talkeetna. I checked out A-OK with them, but isnt this unusual? In six years prevous running from May to late September i have never been boarded or stopped. I am greatful to see them out and about, and really nice guys, but they missed the boat They should have been up there during king season. Now that was worth the price of admission to see that show.
    2005 20' Weldcraft Sabre XL 350 MP
    SD309 AT
    2009 Polaris Dragon 800 163
    Custom Mod's

They usually hit me up at least once a year out of Seward, they're running behind schedule this year.

07 Ocean Pro 220 ET HT
    115 Yamaha
    Garmin 740S, GMR 18 HD
    Airmar TM 260-MM

They should give folks a sticker to show they've recently been boarded and an inspection has been done. Save time and effort... unless they are looking to fill time and keep themselves occupied. Hope that isn't the case.

You are a shifty looking charactor who could blame them. hope you had a great season.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

I hear if you get the voluntary inspection from the local Auxilliary and put the sticker on your boat they usually don't bother you.
    Might be something to do next spring.
    If your boat is up to snuff shouldn't take long at all maybe an hour or two of your time.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

They dig the ALLOY.

Knowing you .... it sounds about right ... haha ... no really, been caught and released twice by State troopers for too big a boat (not true) on the Seward Hwy. Also got checked for licenses this year at Illianama, fishing for reds ... no more that 25 people fishing the Newhalen river ... I took some ak league baseball guys from the Glacier Pilots, one from Boston (Cael) and the other from Utah (Jake). Yea we saw a bear and lost a bunch of fish, water is way too big, they get back into the current and it is over.

Truth is you never know when you will get carded ....

About 15 years ago, when visiting a friend in the bush we heard a plan go overhead when fishing on the river and about 15 minutes later we were approached by a Fish and Game Officer and a AST for our fishing licenses. We had them, but I still shake my head that the state was allocating resouces to enforce recreational fishing rules in a place that only has a handful of people. After years of reflection, I suppose they were probably looking for bigger fish to fry....LOL...like some poachers and came upon us instead.

As far as boat inspections, I get mine done every single year and have never been boarded. They probably figure it is not worth the time as I have everything.

JKB--Shifty??? hmmmm Thats pretty good for me since i have been called a lot worse LOL Had a great season after some impeller work. Looking forward to the next jet boat gathering

OK Billie boy in know your a rule breaker thats for sure!!! Good to hear you got the driveway queen out on the water.

It was no real big deal that they boarded me, and the trooper ran me through his system frontwards and back and took up 45 minutes of my time. And I was happy to hear from him that "hey that boat is registered to you". REALLY!! Me and the bank and the insurance company all three thank you. LOL the second time, same trooper and coastie but this time they brought another coastie with them. I told them they boarded me 3 weeks ago, so they ran through again and put me in there system this time and gave me a VOR (i think that was the letters) and coastie said to keep the "gold" color copy of the boarding with me and show it next time i get stopped and i would be good to go. The trooper never check my fishing licence which i thought was a little strange. All he wanted was my drivers licence.

Oh Ya they did give the kids a certificate for a free ice cream cone at Mac's for wearing their PFD's on and off the boat.
    SD309 AT
    Custom Mod's

[QUOTE=kasilofchrisn;993329]I hear if you get the voluntary inspection from the local Auxilliary and put the sticker on your boat they usually don't bother you.
    Nope have have the USCG sticker for years and still they come, but yes they tend to not inspect that.

do you have to have your drivers license on you ?

Pretty certain you need some form of Gov't issued picture ID.
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Why would registration matter? I borrow friends and families boats all the time.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by AKBroncoII View Post
    Why would registration matter? I borrow friends and families boats all the time.
    Why wouldn't it matter? No difference then running a license plate of a car.

I was referring to the fact that the registration was in his name. Don't see what difference that makes as long as registration is current and boat wasn't reported stolen.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by AKBroncoII View Post
    I was referring to the fact that the registration was in his name. Don't see what difference that makes as long as registration is current and boat wasn't reported stolen.
    I suspect it was simply a comment, nothing more. Maybe the trooper actually had a sense of humor and was simply making lightheated conversation. In any case, it doesn't seem like anything to get riled about.

In my "important papers" folder i keep on the boat, i could not locate the registration. I had the orginal bill of sale from the dealer. the P.O. with the haul number, insurance card ect. all with my name on it. I think trooper Valentine was pokeing a little fun at me for having every document attached to boat execpt for the one i need. Since i did not have the registration paper with me he ran a check to see it my have been stolen. I give him two thumbs up for that one. If it was barrowed and everything was current, i wouldn't think you should have any issues if stopped Just the same if it was a car.
    SD309 AT
    Custom Mod's

Maybe I missed it, but was it a random boarding or are they looking for somebody in a maroon jet boat?

Totally random boarding judging by the hour they spent with at the launch. Didn't ask where i had been or anything.

By the way it is listed on the build sheet as cranberry....... but it will take maroon. its more manly than cranberry.
    SD309 AT
    Custom Mod's

Hi Jimmie

Trooper was right .... I keep the registration in the back pouch of the captians chair, a drivers license verify's who you are.

BTW!

'OK Billie boy in know your a rule breaker thats for sure!!! Good to hear you got the driveway queen out on the water'

Driveway? .... what driveway? just want a 2012 vette to finish it off ... spent more time in the skywagon this summer ..... way cheaperIMG_2280.jpgIMG_2281.jpg .... tell the girls in pends I said Hi :~)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast