Thread: T/O distance 206 on floats

Default T/O distance 206 on floats

What do you reckon ? Would a loaded 206 at 3500 lb manage a take off from here ?

The yellow line is 1600 feet long. and that part of the river about 90 feet wide.

The prevailing wind is either NW or SW with the coast line being aligned roughly north/south ( North at the left side of the photo ), The good weather generally being with the sou'wester ( not accounting for sea breezes ).

I have basically no time on floats, and I feel this may be beyond my experience level, but would like some opinions from some of you experienced folk.

Default Great Beach for a cub on wheels

Maybe you should just do a flyby. Make your first attempt with minimal weight. That 206 will preform allot better empty than at gross. Then once you have a feel for it notch up the weight. Go in someone else's plane who has been there before. If you already feel that it would be tight it probably is. Can also depend on the water depth at the time of year you are going. Too many variables right now for you to try.

A 206 on wheels does the beach just fine too. It would be someone elses plane, and as far as know no-one has had a floatplane in there before.

It looks like there may be room to start the run and step turn into the marked stretch going either way. 1600' at gross will be short. I've measured the operational area in Lake Spenard with Google Earth to be approx 2000'. Most heavy 206s are still grinding into the canal before they fly off the water.

How much room does one need to turn around in to line up for the take off run? at the upstream end there are tall trees on both sides and the width narrows.

The current is slow ( almost still ) in most conditions, and the depth is - well I don't know, but to deep to wade across, and that doesn't vary much either.

Mr. PId is right, as usual. A lot depends, too, on what floats you're riding on. Wiplines are the best floats I've found for short takeoffs. Your technique means a lot, too. I preferred to start with 10-degrees of flaps to help get up on the step, get rid of the flaps to reduce drag, and then go to twenty-degrees to lift off. Your POH recommends 20-degrees throughout the takeoff run.

The water takeoff run for my 1984 TU206G amphibian (heavier than your C-206) shows 1460 feet at 3600 lbs gross weight. At a modest 3300 lbs, that run shows as not more than 1075 feet required, according to my POH. As I've said, technique means a lot.

And I agree (again as usual) with Mr. Pid: plan to begin your takeoff run from a step turn. Just remember that a step turn to the right will be a lot tougher than one to the left. A LOT tougher. You'll want to get up on the step without delay, and the airplane will easily fly itself off, if you don't screw up the float angle while on the step. With PKs, that's pretty easy. With Edos or Wiplines, it's not quite so critical. If you're being forced forward slightly - - - slightly - - - that angle is wrong.

While I'm not encouraging you to do anything that makes you nervous, I'd go in there anytime . . . loaded or not.

If you are a low time pilot on floats I would suggest you go to a practice lake and set out a few distance markers. practice under a variet of conditions, weather, weight, passengers, loading, CG etc.

Your river has a lot of water on each end of the yellow line. From either direction you should be able to hit the yellow line on step. Keep in mind float flying is all about technique. Once you get to know the airplane you'll develop a efficent means for heavy takeoffs.Hopefully a good technique. Are you familiar with an aerilon down on takeoff? Or holding a heavy plane on the water until you have plenty of airspeed to lift off. Trade the length of your water for additional airspeed.

A few practice runs is time well spent.

Good luck

Thom - I'm familiar with the THEORY of the techniques you described, but just haven't had the float time to practise any.

I think I'll try it with an experienced guy on board, and not loaded first, but depending on how that goes - maybe best to put it back on wheels for what I need to do with it until I can get some float time somewhere with a bit more room for error.

Thanks guys.

Kachemak Bay Alaska

As Pid and Griz (sounds like a Vegas stage act) have both said the type of floats makes a huge difference. Plus some of the older small tail C-206s tend to be rather doggy off the water.
    A local guy has an older C-206 on floats that takes 3,500 feet to get off of glassy water with a fairly full load. I have flown with him and that plane is just a dog. The way the prop winds up, the way the floats are rigged, and so on...

On the other hand, another local guy has a turbo'ed C-206 (another older plane) but he gets off the water much sooner. And of course there is also a gal who has a newer C-206 with extended wings and all sorts of cool wing mods. She jumps off the water pretty quick as well.

Rivers are interesting to land and take-off from... Often the winds down next to the water have nothing to do with the winds above the trees. Probably because the trees and shoreline can channel the winds from miles away...
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member

You appear to be at sea level, but what about temp? It looks like you are operating way down south... just another factor to consider. your air may be much warmer and less dense than we fly in up here.

Well... Air temp down here near enough to 45 south I reckon we're pretty close to ISA at 15 degrees C on average, however the months I'll be using this river ( possibly ) will be spring / beginning of summer and at an educated guess - shouldn.t get above about 22 C there.

It is an older model, and after talking to some of the guys who used to fly it - apparently it can be a real dog to get off the water fully loaded ( the may have been a little over - but at sea level ).

Plan B - theres a lagoon further upstream......