Thread: WHITEFISH GIGGING?? what, when, how

Default WHITEFISH GIGGING?? what, when, how

whitefish gigging on the chatinika, anybody wanta partner go?? anybody going?? anybody ever been?? anybody ever even heard of this? how big are the fish, anyone on the forum know what i'm talking about? or asking i should say
    edit signature here

Never heard of it. Are you asking or ready to let us know?

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

I did it back in the early 90s, it was a blast!

the permits come out monday. i wanta get one and go. the season is sep 23 to oct 23. limit 10 fish per house hold. big ones about 5 lbs. and excellent table fair.

i think it works best to drive them. apparently it is done at night, with waders and spears, or what i refer to as giggs. we get in the water and walk a line up current. and they are migrating up stream and when you see their wake you stab em. i wanta go, but i never have been, and i am looking for a handful of people to go with, so can drive em. maybe 3 to 5 total giggers. i may have 2 already, maybe none but me. but, i don't know anyone who has done it. it would be nice to get some inside info, but sometimes learning can be half the fun.
    edit signature here

We didn't do the post and drive thing, we would just get into the river and slowly work our way upstream, lantern in one hand, spear in the other. Move slowly and you will walk right up on them, they will be stationary for the most part. It's a blast!!!!!

stationary?? wow! so, it's not like i was thinking. sounds like i can get em solo. as you see- i have no idea,and what you have just said changes how i was thinking to do it. right on and thank you for that
    edit signature here

Quote Originally Posted by hooternanny View Post
    stationary?? wow! so, it's not like i was thinking. sounds like i can get em solo. as you see- i have no idea,and what you have just said changes how i was thinking to do it. right on and thank you for that
    Yeah, I went out by myself several times. Don't know how popular it is now, but I would usually get there just before it got dark as it was a fairly popular thing to do. The crowds thin as the season goes on.