Thread: Seward Silver Salmon Derby- Round 2

Default Seward Silver Salmon Derby- Round 2

Launched 8am Wednesday Morning.

Slow slow slow. Nothing for the first few hours. I started picking up fish after I passes Tonsina Creek which is a littel different. Had the most take downs near Caines Head. Nothing at all near Miller's Landing.

Ended up with 3 salmon on 8 hookups. I need to improve on that. 2 silvers and a pink. I did manage a nice 23 inch yelloweye rockfish...sort of. reeling up something decent from 300ft, my line goes slack part way up. Darn! Check the rig, bottom hook is broken off on a two hook mooching rig. Dogfish?

5 minutes later, I notice a buoy floating towards me. That's odd...wait it's orange, not really super red. What? A yelloweye? I pick it out of the water and there is my 4/0 gamakatsu hook in the corner of the mouth? Completely unexpected for inside the bay. I am glad it didn't go to waste.

Ran into a Hobie Oasis camped out at Caines Head. First one I have seen other than mine.

Also ran into Dudemandude whose buddy promptly lands a ten pound-ish halibut on a salmon head from a yak. Nice!

That is cool you got that yellow eye..
    they dont survive the ride to the top with that air bladder problem they have,, good job..!!!!
    When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com

Dude awesome job on the silvers! You finally found some! the yelloweye is to cool! My buddy was none other than my brother! My brother rented that sot from Liquid Adventures! It was the prowler Ocean Kayak 15. Wednesday after you left and my brother had caught that 10 pounder. I hooked into a 25+ halibut that my we landed together, what a fight! we stayed for a while longer and then trolled our way back. Didn't get any silvers both days. Went out the next day and caught a small rockfish threw back and a small pcod I saved for bait. My brother for the day ended up getting "O" nothing! oh well fishing not catching. I ended up getting 3 more pcod and 2 small flounder and then land another 27+ halibut. It was awesome!

Good to see you out there! The drift socks worked great. Good luck out there! I don't know if I will be doing any more kayak fishing this summer, will be going moose hunting next week!

Quote Originally Posted by dudemandude View Post
    Dude awesome job on the silvers! You finally found some! the yelloweye is to cool! My buddy was none other than my brother! My brother rented that sot from Liquid Adventures! It was the prowler Ocean Kayak 15. Wednesday after you left and my brother had caught that 10 pounder. I hooked into a 25+ halibut that my we landed together, what a fight! we stayed for a while longer and then trolled our way back. Didn't get any silvers both days. Went out the next day and caught a small rockfish threw back and a small pcod I saved for bait. My brother for the day ended up getting "O" nothing! oh well fishing not catching. I ended up getting 3 more pcod and 2 small flounder and then land another 27+ halibut. It was awesome!

Good to see you out there! The drift socks worked great. Good luck out there! I don't know if I will be doing any more kayak fishing this summer, will be going moose hunting next week!
    Great meeting ya both! I am seriously jealous on the Halibut. You guys targeted them, and got them. I am impressed. I just hate hauling up all the P-Cod I ran into. But your big bait and the fact you actually caught a small 10 pounder on a big head makes me feel a bit better. I tried the head, got whacks but more importantly I got a bunch of smaller whacks that probably were P-cod that I didn't hook thankfully.

Not much of a hunter so I'll keep at it. Silvers and bottomfish through September though I do want to take a crack or two at Lake trout in Lake Louise before freeze up. I need to take one trip outside Resurrection Bay to target Lings and bigger bottom fish. Crap...summer is running out... I wonder if winter Kings are a possibility.....

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by Kardinal_84 View Post
    Great meeting ya both! I am seriously jealous on the Halibut. You guys targeted them, and got them. I am impressed. I just hate hauling up all the P-Cod I ran into. But your big bait and the fact you actually caught a small 10 pounder on a big head makes me feel a bit better. I tried the head, got whacks but more importantly I got a bunch of smaller whacks that probably were P-cod that I didn't hook thankfully.

Not much of a hunter so I'll keep at it. Silvers and bottomfish through September though I do want to take a crack or two at Lake trout in Lake Louise before freeze up. I need to take one trip outside Resurrection Bay to target Lings and bigger bottom fish. Crap...summer is running out... I wonder if winter Kings are a possibility.....
    Winter kings are absolutely a possibility in Res Bay!!

Quote Originally Posted by Frostbitten View Post
    Winter kings are absolutely a possibility in Res Bay!!
    oooo...really? Tell me more!

I was thinking Homer is such a long drive for the unpredictable winter weather. I have a decent background in commercial fishing as a fish trader and it always seemed like outside of salmon, all the other fisheries are much better in the winter.

I started at the end of March this year out of Whittier so I think if I pick the days it is do-able. I do a bit of ice fishing and yes, I enjoy it! lol. So its not mandatory to kayak in the winter but it'd be a really cool (maybe COLD is a better adjective) thing to try!!!!!

[QUOTE=Kardinal_84;993598]I need to take one trip outside Resurrection Bay to target Lings and bigger bottom fish. QUOTE]

I've caught my fair share of 100#+ halibut in the bay. Big fish are in the, just keep poking around. A lot of my larger halibut in the bay are caught in September.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

Quote Originally Posted by FishGod View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kardinal_84 View Post
    I need to take one trip outside Resurrection Bay to target Lings and bigger bottom fish.
    I've caught my fair share of 100#+ halibut in the bay. Big fish are in the, just keep poking around. A lot of my larger halibut in the bay are caught in September.
    Sweet! I am going to keep trying. As long as I know I have a chance, I seem to have incredible amounts of patience while fishing though I have zero for anything else!

I have tried several times during my salmon fishing in Res Bay and it's always been the reeling up cod from 300 feet a dozen times which have ended my effort, not the lack of action. I WILL get one!! It's just a matter of time...hopefully not a LIFE time.....

Thanks for the info!

Hey, Rudy..... I fished for hours and hours after you left our cabin. Caught that Greenling, two Steelhead, umpteen Lords, and lost a nice Silver, but had fun with it for a couple of minutes. None of the boats trolling by were catching either, but several of them were gawking at my odd watercraft. Let's get do Kenai Lake soon if we can sync up. Our number's in the book. Larry & Cheryl Austin.

Quote Originally Posted by Flipperman View Post
    Hey, Rudy..... I fished for hours and hours after you left our cabin. Caught that Greenling, two Steelhead, umpteen Lords, and lost a nice Silver, but had fun with it for a couple of minutes. None of the boats trolling by were catching either, but several of them were gawking at my odd watercraft. Let's get do Kenai Lake soon if we can sync up. Our number's in the book. Larry & Cheryl Austin.
    Hey, great to meet ya Larry. I got into a few after I left the cabin. I also ran into a couple of forum members and they got a few small halibut close to you so it can be done!

Steelhead? Ya sure? Sea run Dollies maybe? that's be pretty cool if their were rainbows around.

Sounds good about the lake. I'll send ya a PM with contact info!

I got to shore and got stuck for nearly 2 hours chatting with folks. So I know what you mean. Seems like everyone's first question is "Are you suicidal?" But fortunately after talking for a bit and explaining the set up, the last question always seems to be "Where can I get one of those!?!?" So that's good! lol.

I have a board meeting today but headed down to Seward hopefully as soon as I am done!