Thread: For RC566: Did this go through?

Default For RC566: Did this go through?

The Emergency Petition by Warren Olson, dated 13 May 2010, requests for the Unit 13 Nelchina Caribou, RC566, Caribou Tier I Hunt, the "repeal of the requirement to destroy and leave in the field, antlers from caribou, harvested by drawing permit, during proper season, by hunters in Alaska". This request is in reference to: 5 AAC 92.220. Salvage of game meat, furs, and hides, specifically section (f), which reads: Antlers or horns may not be transported from the field unless accompanied by all edible meat or unless possession of the meat has been transferred in accordance with 5 AAC 92.135. However, antlers taken under a subsistence caribou permit in Unit 13 must be removed from the skull plate, or the skull plate cut in half, and antlers and skull plate must be left at the kill site. There are two subsistence caribou hunts in Unit 13 that would be affected by this petition, they are described in: 5 AAC 92.071 Tier I subsistence permits (RC566), and 5 AAC 92.072 Community subsistence harvest hunt area and permit conditions (Ahtna Community Hunt).

I dont know about the subsistence one but I know both the RC566 and the draw bou hunts in 13 you do not have to destroy antlers...I would call fish and game

"I Envy Him And Him Only, That Catches More Fish Than I Do" Izaac Walton 1653
    The question of hunting is not a matter of life or death... it's more important than that

No uglies on my permit or on the Nelchina Hotline.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    Bill Hicks

It must've gone through, as there are no antler destruction regulations this year (nor were there last year - at least not during the winter registration hunt in October and November). I'm quite certain of this, as I was checked by the Troopers this past Saturday and he did not say a word about our antlers other than offering a congratulations.

RC566? A registration caribou hunt in unit 13? For real?

Yeah, the F & G guy who stopped us looked at the antlers and commented how nice the velvet was. There is no antler destruction for this hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by AkHunter45 View Post
    RC566? A registration caribou hunt in unit 13? For real?
    Kind of. That is the hunt number for the Tier I hunt this year. I guess since they changed the system to one where if you applied for the tag you were guaranteed to get it, they thus changed the hunt number from TC566 to RC566.

I got checked and cleared as well. He just checked my tag, felt that I had the meat on the bone thru my game bags and then congrated me...

That's strange, there's a big difference between a registration hunt and a Tier I or II hunt. No biggie, I've got a 40 Mile tag already so i'm good to go.