Thread: Blue berries or Ptarmigan

Default Blue berries or Ptarmigan

Is it wrong if my wife wants to take the whole family out picking blue berries and I bring the dog and shotgun? I doubt it's what she has in mind, but I could always play the "bear defense" card (she probably won't notice that I'm loading 7 1/2s). If I wander off behind Gauge, as he quarters to and fro, will she believe it when I tell her I'm just trying to catch this out of control dog? Will she mind if I keep the "bear defense" shotgun with me as I try to "catch" him?

Why would anyone want to pick blue berries anyway? Just leave them for the ptarmigan and bears.

LOL! Nice tmcee

I love picking blueberries and I have fond childhood memories of my mother dragging me around Hatcher pass as I ate all of her hard earned crop. Now days, I let the girls pick their berries in peace and chase birds and squirrels around the hill sides. I have never had to convince SWMBO that I need to hunt, but if you do, bear defense seems like as good a reason as any. If I were you I would show her how beautiful the birds are in hand, and make some delicious grouse tacos when you get home. That should sway the vote in your favor! Let us know how the berry/bird crop is up north, good luck dude.

p.s. the squirrels are for fun, don't show her those!

Quote Originally Posted by TMCKEE View Post
    Why would anyone want to pick blue berries anyway? Just leave them for the ptarmigan and bears
    Let's see there's blueberry pie,Blueberry pancakes,Blueberry muffins,Blueberry jam/jelly,Blueberry syrup,etc. etc.....
    I enjoy berrypicking mostly because I enjoy the fruits of our labor later.
    I don't think my fiancee would mind me hunting while she picked berries but it would go over a heck of a lot better if I told her before hand what I had in mind. Wandering off then her hearing random gunshots could get me in hot water with her I suppose.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    Wandering off then her hearing random gunshots could get me in hot water with her I suppose.
    Yeah, I've been pondering just how I might go about explaining a vest full of birds...and I'm sure hearing shots from the "bear defense" weapon wouldn't put her mind at ease.

Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    Let's see there's blueberry pie,Blueberry pancakes,Blueberry muffins,Blueberry jam/jelly,Blueberry syrup,etc. etc.....
    I enjoy berrypicking mostly because I enjoy the fruits of our labor later.
    I don't think my fiancee would mind me hunting while she picked berries but it would go over a heck of a lot better if I told her before hand what I had in mind. Wandering off then her hearing random gunshots could get me in hot water with her I suppose.
    You forgot Blueberry Wine....!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Old John View Post
    You forgot Blueberry Wine....!!!!
    We don't drink so no need for the wine. But if you like it more power too ya.
    The 11 year old wanted a pie really bad this year. He also badly wanted to avoid berry picking. His mom made sure he at least picked enough berries for the pie she made him.
    I figure if I want those PB&J sandwiches while I am fishing/humting I had better help in the berry picking and jam/jelly making.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"