Thread: Calling in moose

Default Calling in moose

So some people say to early to call moose in. What is your opinion.
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

The earliest I have called one in was Sep 6th, and he was hot to trot.

A lot depends on the weather. That's what drives the rut not a date on a calender.

Iíve called a bull in on Sept.1st. There are several stages of rut, knowing what stage a bull or cow is in will help you call in a animal.

Iíve just said what northriver21 said.

I have called at small bulls around the 20-25th of August and they did not show much interest. I think you know where. We are heading North to hopefully catch an earlier rut. It worked last year. Seems like it has been quite warm down here in the early part of the moose season for the last several years.

Not me, I'd rather spot them way across the swamp, hike all the way over there, shoot them in the nastiest spot I can find, and then pack them back one big, unwieldy load at a time.

Just kidding - if a moose is willing to come closer, I'm willing to let him.

My understanding is that it's not worth trying until they have shed their velvet. If still in velvet, you're either wasting your time, or worse, actively driving them off by alerting them to your presence. Starting around Sept. 1st it wouldn't hurt to give a few short grunts or scrapes a try, though.

There are lots of stories of it working in August but I wouldn't make it a big part of my game plan until the first few days of September. By the 10th.....it's all I do, hunting more with my ears than with my eyes.

Earliest one we've called in was Sept. 3, three guys standing on a ridgetop and a bruiser came in hot to scraping and grunting, three guys let loose at 30 yards and he never knew what hit him.

Conversely, I went out the 5-8 of Sept. last year in an area I am VERY confident had bulls in it, covered a lot of ground, banged on every tree I could find and did what I have done for years successfully but nary even a grunt or scrape in return, and listening conditions were perfect.

As said, try it, but I wouldn't go overboard as they are likely not that aggressive just yet.

Quote Originally Posted by northriver21 View Post
    The earliest I have called one in was Sep 6th, and he was hot to trot.

A lot depends on the weather. That's what drives the rut not a date on a calender.
    Hunting on the big Su and the Yentna, I don't think we've ever called one in before the 3rd week of Sept.. My experience has been, the higher the elevation, the earlier the rut, the easier it is to call them in...