Thread: 300WSM brown bear Bullets?

Default 300WSM brown bear Bullets?

going to do a little brown bear hunting looking to work up a load for the 300wsm. No monster bears that i know of in the area just some average size bears. already have a great load worked up for 180gn hornady SST using RL19. thinking about different bullets for browns. maybe a Barns or something along those lines. Berger bullets shoot amazingly for me but i doubt that would be a good brown bear bullet. anyone have any pet loads to share or and bullet recomendations?

It isn't a WSM but my 300WM loves 200gr Accubonds with H1000 powder. Clove leaf groups at 100yds. Plenty of knock down power for larger animals. Not as fast and flat as the 180gr but carries more energy down range. I've never shot a brown bear, but I would be willing to bet that with a properly placed shot, the load you are using right now would do just fine.

Use a tough bullet, barnes, etip, partition, aframe, kodiak, or the like. Above all, make sure it shoots good. The accubond should be enough moxy for anything save the big coastal brownies if you don't want the hassle or working up another load does not work out.

Without recommending for or against any particular bullet, or the 300WSM for that matter, I'll pass along an insight.

One of my hunting pards is a 30+ year brown bear guide. Following this year's spring hunts he told me he had 3 hunters who used 300's- Two WSMs and a Winnie. I don't recall the particular bullets, but I asked him about 30 cals in general. He said he doesn't discourage clients from using them, but no matter which bullet he always expects quick followup shooting on his part. In all his years he doesn't recall a single one that was dropped with a single 30 caliber bullet. It get's really worrisome for him in and around thick alders, because even with a perfect shot the bear is likely to do some traveling. He said that on his hunts these days, 30 cal shots in cover sound like bamBOOM. He's touching off a shot with his 375 or 416 an instant after he hears the client's shot, without waiting around for the bear to eventually quit moving after a perfect 30 cal shot.

Bottom line, whichever bullet you choose, I don't think I'd be counting on a single bullet to anchor the bear and keep it out of nearby cover. They can cover some ground if you have to wait for them to die.

180 grain in Barnes X, 200 grain inn Nosler Partition or Swift A Frame + what Brown Bear said.

Suggest moving up in Cal for brown bear the 338 as the least and the 375/416 as perfect.
    Interior grizzly the 300 will work fine but the big brown costal I suggest a bigger gun.

I know there is a perception that bears require a lot of killing, and sometimes I guess that is true, but bears--even big bears--shot well have no choice but to die. I've witnessed one shot kills on brown bears with .30 caliber rifles and have carried .30 caliber rifles confidently while hunting big bears and would not be reluctant to do so again. There are lots of good choices in .30 caliber bullets, but I'd lean to the 180 NPT or a 165-180 TTSX. I use greater and lesser cartridges for all kinds of hunting, but I always remember that the bullet does all of the killing and with a bullet that provides enough penetration the cartridge doesn't make a lot of difference. YMMV...
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.