Thread: Anyone own a .338 Edge? Good/Bad?

Default Anyone own a .338 Edge? Good/Bad?

Just wondering if anyone out there owns a rifle chambered in .338 Edge. If so, what are your reviews of the round? What bullets/loads are giving you the best results?

I had one for a while, and while it was impressive, I'm not sure I would start out building one from scratch (I bought mine used). I'd choose a .338 RUM instead, and skip the extra tinkering required for reloading the Edge. The plain-jane RUM also gives you more wiggle room to play with bullet seating depth in a factory mag box.

I shot mostly 225gr bullets with RL-25 as my powder of preference (other folks I talked to liked Retumbo, but I never got around to trying it). I got about 3250fps with RL-25, and about 150fps less with RL-22.

The drawback of the Edge as a hunting rifle (for me, anyway) was the LONG barrel. Mine had a 26" barrel and another 2-inches of muzzle break. My .375 H&H with a 21" barrel (no brake) is much handier in Alaskan alders, and delivers plenty of punch.

If you go to "YouTube" and do a search for 338 edge (or long-range shooting) you'll find some darned interesting and fascinating video clips...successful shots at game well over 1000 yds away, etc. Very impressive. But...the special scopes they use are not cheap...be prepared to get a 2nd mortgage...

Marshall/Ak
    "I love my country...it's the government I'm scared of"

I had my used 300 RUM rebarreled to 300 RUM again once I finished shooting it out. I considered the 338 edge, but did not see the advantages to the 338 unless you were REALLY committed to the long range game. It would have been the same money to have the barrel made and chambered, trued etc. I could have used the same scope. I did not feel I could shoot it without the break, and I hate hunting with a muzzle break. Wow are they loud. It does seem like a good long range hunting platform though, could be fun if not practical.