Thread: Homemade butter recipes?

Fairbanks in the future...

Question Homemade butter recipes?

My wifey wants to get into makin our own butter, any good recipes or tips? Thanks!

Delta Junction, Alaska

Butter is super easy to make its just whipping cream and a touch of salt thats beat to heck and back. I use my mixer and add a million different things for other flavors of butter from garlic, lemon, almond ect. Just be sure to pour off the buttermilk and rinse it until the water is clear ~ its the buttermilk that will make the butter taste sour.

Here is a quick recipe from food network ~

1pint heavy cream / whipping cream, very cold
    Pinch salt, optional

Find a large jar with a tight-fitting lid that will hold the cream about half full. Refrigerate the jar for at least 1 hour. Pour the cream into the cold jar. Tightly secure the lid and shake as hard as possible until chunks of butter start to form, 15 to 30 minutes. Pour into a strainer set over a bowl. The chunks in the strainer are butter, and the liquid in the bowl is buttermilk.

Pour the buttermilke into a clean container, cover, refrigerate, and reserve for another use
    Turn the butter into a clean bowl and cover with very cold water. Pour into a strainer, discarding the liquid. Continue rinsing the butter with very cold water until the water runs clear. When the butter is clean, work with a wooden spoon to press out any remaining liquid. Discard this liquid. If desired, add salt to the butter. (Salted butter will keep longer.)

Transfer the butter to a clean container for keeping, pressing with a wooden spoon or spatula to dispel any air bubbles. Refrigerate until ready to use.

North Pole

My Grandmother never rinsed hers, maybe that's why it also had a sharp taste. Man I miss homemade butter. And honestly I miss milking the cows every morn before work and / or school. And the warm fresh milk for breakfast, when bring the buckets in to the house for separating. But, I do realize I just don't have the time for milk cattle anymore.

Thanks for reminding us all about the good memories of the past,