Thread: Evinrude fuel mixture question

Default Evinrude fuel mixture question

I decided to bust out the old Evinrude 35 horse jet with my Achilles inflatable to use this weekend for my daughters moose hunt. Upon opening my tools and supplies bag that has been in a cooler, it somehow got a couple inches of water in it and made a mess of everything. For the last hour I've been cleaning everything and reorganizing. I've never had a manual for it, but I did have notes that got destroyed and I can't recall what the gas/oil mixture for this thing is. Can anybody help me out?

It is a '84 model E35RCRR. When I last used it a couple years ago she starter and ran excellent. I just poured out and cleaned the gas in the float tank, filtered the existing gas (~1&1/2 gallons) and want to fill her up to give it a test run tonight. I also greased all the zirks, pulled the shoe off and dislodged a couple of rocks (not sure how they got in there )

Thanks!

I'd run 50:1

It might be 100:1 but they changed it to 50:1 sometime in the 80's. So yeah, 50:1

50 parts oil to 1 part gas. Thanks guys!

50 to one oil to gas and she won't run 50 parts gas 1 part oil

Another vote for 50:1. The only time I'd consider going with what may have been recomened as 100:1 is if you'll be doing mostly trolling and run the risk of fouling the plugs. But with your application, you'll be running the engine hard, and extra oil never hurts, not enough oil can really hurt!
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Mokaiman, the winky eye guy didn't show up to well on my last post, it was a bad attempt at humor.

Thanks for your help guys. Got busy last night so I'll be getting it in the water tonight.

What do you mean bad attempt?! I gotta laugh out of it! and then again at mokaiman

She fired up on the third pull, then died at idle. Started on the next pull and ran like it was new. This old Evinrude is something else.

Unfortunately I didn't pay attention to where the water spits out of the engine. I unplugged the fuel line and ran her empty. I didn't notice any water spitting out at idle. It was spitting out of the back of the engine and the water was pretty warm, but as I recall it is supposed to come out of the side. Should it spit at idle?

Quote Originally Posted by Jerod View Post
    She fired up on the third pull, then died at idle. Started on the next pull and ran like it was new. This old Evinrude is something else.

Unfortunately I didn't pay attention to where the water spits out of the engine. I unplugged the fuel line and ran her empty. I didn't notice any water spitting out at idle. It was spitting out of the back of the engine and the water was pretty warm, but as I recall it is supposed to come out of the side. Should it spit at idle?
    it should show a steady stream idle through WOT from the back of the motor and yes it will be warm. if it set for 2 or 3 years it probably needs a water pump overhaul. easy to do and about 75$ in parts. cheap insurance because it will seize the motor at idle if the pump is not working correctly. they are a great old motor

If you have time go online and get the pump....much cheaper than the local stealers. I get mine for about 35$ online (zuki though).

I did a quick in the field "straw sucking" technique on the side drain and dislodged whatever was in there. She was spitting good while driving and we ran the Chatanika from the Elliott almost all the way to the Steese last night. No moose to be seen, but it was a fun trip with the kids.