Thread: Rod setup for kings?

Default Rod setup for kings?

Hi,

A few friends and I are heading to the Nushagak river next year for a few days. The place we're staying provides gear, but they said to bring our own if we want to bank fish.

Any suggestions on rods or line weight?

Fred Meyers had an 8' med/heavy Ugly Stick rod combo. Would that work? I'm guessing I need a bait cast reel.

Thanks in advance

Quote Originally Posted by akmonk View Post
    Hi,

A few friends and I are heading to the Nushagak river next year for a few days. The place we're staying provides gear, but they said to bring our own if we want to bank fish.

Any suggestions on rods or line weight?

Fred Meyers had an 8' med/heavy Ugly Stick rod combo. Would that work? I'm guessing I need a bait cast reel.

Thanks in advance
    Kenai special paired up with an abu Garcia 6500 or 6501c3 reel. You'll be good to go.

Fish On!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

We done this in 2006 and had a great time. I brought a 6500 C4 reel with me spooled with 30 lb. mono and it worked fine for me. I purchased a 8 foot extra heavy Ugly Stick rod after I got there. My brother and another guy bought a nice fly rod outfit complete with a packrod before we left for Alaska and paid about $250 here in the states. After we got to Alaska I bought almost the same outfit for around $125 and both of them liked my outfit better than the one they had bought for about twice the money. We found that the tackle seletcion in Alaska stores was pretty good and not that bad priced as compared to what I could get here in the states.

When we got ready to come home we shiped our suit cases home by UPS and brought our fish back as our luggauge. I shiped a rod tube with 2 rods ( both rods were 2 piece rods ) and a large suit case. This cost me about $170. About a week after I got home UPS pulled in driveway and had the rod tube and nothing else. The end had been knocked off the rod tube but both rods were in there and had no dammage. The UPS driver told me that the stuff probally got seperated and the rest should be there in the next day or so. After about a week I contacted UPS and they had no idea where my other stuff was. A couple days later I run into a UPS driver and explained what had happened and she give me a number and name to contact. I explained what had happened to this guy and he said to give him a few days to work on it and he would call back. About a week later he called back and said he had found my stuff. They had put the shipping labels on the handles to the suit case and both of them had been tore off and were gone. It also had wheels to roll it around and one of them had been broke off with a nice hole tore in it also. I had took 4 good reels with me but the 6500 and the flyrod outfit that I bought there was the only ones that I used much. All four of these reels and the flyrod outfit plus knives and other gear and clothes were in this suitcase. I got it back almost a month to the day after it was shiped with nothing damaged except the suitcase. I was very happy and felt lucky to get my stuff back.

Thanks guys. What line? I'm thinging 25lb?

Any feedback on the Ugly Stick combo that Fredy's sells?

I use an ugly stick. For the money its hard to beat. Its super durable and strong and only cost me 50 bucks. I use a medium weight pole too. Theres no need to be using a halibut class pole on salmon. I saw a guy out a ship early in the season with a shark pole, some jerk told him that a king could snap a medium weight rod with no effort. I laughed and told the poor guy to get a new lighter smaller rod.

I had it spooled with 30lb braid (because its strong thin and versatile) and just use a mono leader because the braid gets torn up easily in salmons mouths. A lot of individuals use 50lb line or even heavier but Ive seen people catch big kings on 15lb test it just takes longer cause you have to play em. I would stay away from the combo setups simply because the reels are very cheap typically. If you want an ugly stick just buy a reel separately and slap that on there.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

Quote Originally Posted by c6 batmobile View Post
    I use an ugly stick. For the money its hard to beat. Its super durable and strong and only cost me 50 bucks. I use a medium weight pole too. Theres no need to be using a halibut class pole on salmon. I saw a guy out a ship early in the season with a shark pole, some jerk told him that a king could snap a medium weight rod with no effort. I laughed and told the poor guy to get a new lighter smaller rod.

I had it spooled with 30lb braid (because its strong thin and versatile) and just use a mono leader because the braid gets torn up easily in salmons mouths. A lot of individuals use 50lb line or even heavier but Ive seen people catch big kings on 15lb test it just takes longer cause you have to play em. I would stay away from the combo setups simply because the reels are very cheap typically. If you want an ugly stick just buy a reel separately and slap that on there.
    Is Ugly stick a good caster for spinners? I know it is very soft. Did you landed a big salmons with it? What parameters of yours rod?
    Thank you

I cast everything with my ugly stick. Spinners to bait. The largest I landed this year was just over 20 but it handled that without a problem. It's a medium weight 15-20 or something like that. I've caught dozens of fish on it this year. I've also dropped it stepped on it and smashed it in the truck door. It's still kickin and catching fish. If you wanna spend 200 bucks on a for I'm not gonna stop ya but for me the ugly stick has been great bang for the buck.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.