View Poll Results: Did you, or will U, be packin a handgun?

Voters
84. You may not vote on this poll
  • AK Resident Yes

50 59.52%
  • AK Resident No

24 28.57%
  • Non Resident Yes

6 7.14%
  • Non Resident No

4 4.76%

Thread: Where's the pistola's?

Default Where's the pistola's?

Just wondering as I look over the many great success posts I am seeing ( or not seeing ) any handguns strapped on the hunters. I thought there were more chaps carrying backup guns for big bears so I will make a poll.

If you are going this year or have been please select if you packed a six shooter on your hunt!
    Thanks
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Yes, but its primary duty will be tent/sleeping bag security.
    Now what ?

Nope. I don't even own a revolver. Just more weight to carry.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Not on the sheep hunt, too heavy! Moose yes, might even try to get him with it?

Why would I want to carry my .44mag when I have my .338 with me while moose hunting anyway?
    I guess if I was a bow hunter that would change things and I would probably carry it as a backup in that situation.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    Why would I want to carry my .44mag when I have my .338 with me while moose hunting anyway?
    I guess if I was a bow hunter that would change things and I would probably carry it as a backup in that situation.
    There was a fellow some years ago who was moose hunting ( I think in the Quartz creek area ?) and surprised a big brown bear, the bear swatted the mans rifle from his hands and had him on his back. While the man was being mauled he managed to pull his sidearm, a .44mag, and get a round into the bear which promptly ran off. The man managed to make his way to the Sterling HWY where he was found and treated etc. The bear did not care what caliber the rifle was, it was the handgun which stopped the attack and saved the mans life.

I often carry a sidearm regardless of the caliber of rifle in my hand. Long guns are not conducive to tight quarter self defense situations.

When I retired they let me keep my issued handgun - sig p220 45 - I take it with me just because.

I feel the same as Chris. I carry my handgun when fishing, biking, hiking, or bowhunting, but when I'm carrying my rifle I don't usually bother. I suppose .338WM's point is a valid one, and since I have a scandium/titanium handgun weight isn't too much of an issue, but generally speaking I do not carry a handgun when hunting with a rifle. If I did, it would certainly be a matter of last resort - I'd much rather use a large-bore rifle for self-defense than a handgun.

I am right there with Brian. I will carry it when I don't have my .338 hunting rifle, but usually not with it (although it will usually be in the pack for future use if necessary). The exception to that is when I am returning to a kill after a long pack or overnight and I consider there to be a higher probability of a close quarters encounter from a bear moving in since when I left. In those cases, I will have both usually.

Since weight was no isssue, using a ranger for bou, I had my 454 for the tent, and 45/410 Judge for some birds ;-)
    2003 220 Hewescraft Sea Runner 115 Yam'y, Soft Top "Schmidt Happens"

Most of the time if I'm carrying a hunting rifle I don't bother with a handgun. On a backpack trip its often just dead weight and I'd rather carry a little more food, extra shirt and socks or a more robust tent. If I have boat or ATV type support and weight doesn't really matter I'll take one for packing meat or slipping under my pillow.

Heck, I carry when I'm fishing. Never know when some flathead is gonna give me some trouble.

Don't own one, never have...

on my sheep hunts the pistol never came with. moose hunting the 454 comes with

considering I generally bowhunt, I always carry a handgun when doing so. I have even carried when I am rifle hunting sometimes just because I am so used to carrying a handgun, just comes naturally.

I do and always have, no reason other than Dad did, Grandpa did and his before him. It is on the same belt as my Letherman. Just cause.:O) when I get so old I can't handle the weight, I'll just exercise more.:O) Hunt safe and enjoy life. Jeff

I see no point, unless hunting with one.

Nope. Hard to justify when I got a rifle in my hands, especially my 300 rum.