Thread: Shooting stix?

Default Shooting stix?

Thought it might be interesting to hear some different views on them and hear what different ones people use. If you have some comments on some different models that you have used please share your insights.

If you can post a link showing the model that you use. I'm sure that stranger and bushrat carve their own out of alders or bones
    Semper Fi and God Bless

tboem, I have used the 3 legged Bog Pod for past 3 or 4 years and it is pretty decent. It can serve as a walking tool but with 3 legs it can be a bit cumbersome at times. About the time you drag it along the umpteenth trip out and then leave it behind once you really miss them as you well know some of the best set ups for game lack a good rest and I am not to keen on laying prone. It does seem pretty sturdy and can substitute for many uses in camp... I wrapped a small bungee cord on the leggs of mine as xtra insurance to keep it snug when used as a walking stick.
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

I have practiced with a couple of monopods and the stoney mountain bipod. I like the bipod so far over the monopod. It is a much better rest. The tripods would probably be better yet, but I have found them a bit cumbersome when shopping around. I was minute of moose to about 300 yards, 5 shots on a 12x12 paper with the bipod my first time. I could barley hit the paper with the monopod. I use it as a walking stick as mentioned before. I have it with me when there is high grass since kneeling and sitting are not much of an option. I don't bring it with me if I am seriously bush wacking or climbing. I have not used it on game yet though, but can see the need in some of our regular hunting spots for it. I practice shooting off hand at the range and am consistently awful past 100 yards prompting me to get some sticks to try out.

Stoney Point Steady Stix II Shooting Stick with Belt Sheath

I have used these on many trips and they make me a much better shot. They weigh 6 oz and set up in a few seconds with practice. They also make a taller version for standing shots. All the models are shock corded like tent poles.

We use primos trigger sticks and love them. Our group took 4 caribou this past weekend off both the tall bipod and tall tripod models. All 4 shots were right in the engine room. The trigger makes it extremely easy to adjust your height. So far no complaints about them and a very good buy.

I have the Primos trigger sticks that I haul along when wheeler camping (haven't used them on an animal yet). But when backpacking I install a "V" rest to the top of 2 of the 4 trekking ploles my wife and I bring. Also the "V"s thread off and you can thread a camera or video camera to them as well to get steady video or stab in the ground for timer shots. Also the "V"s can be mounted on the QD plate for my tripod if needed as well. Saves on weight a bulk of things over all. May never actually use the Primos but we'll see hunting via wheeler is still a couple weeks away for me.

You can see both of the trekking poles with the "V"s threaded to the top of my trekking poles. Go they collaspe small enough for sitting shots and tall enough for standing (but I'm only 5'9" so YMMV)

i havent used them yet but am planning on a set of primos, they just seem like the best ones. they claim you can set them up with one hand. i think they r the most expensive though at about $100

Quote Originally Posted by PPR View Post
    i havent used them yet but am planning on a set of primos, they just seem like the best ones. they claim you can set them up with one hand. i think they r the most expensive though at about $100
    Here they are for $68:

http://www.manventureoutpost.com/pro....html?google=1

Thumbs up Primos Trigger Stix

Quote Originally Posted by PPR View Post
    My Primos "Trigger Stix" tripod sets up (levels itself with almost one finger, ASAP. It includes a self contained bungee that wraps all three legs together. I don't leave out without it.

A week ago it helped me with a tough 200 yard shot that I would not have taken without it, on a caribou.

I had thought about getting the prismos tall bipod but saw something that said not to be used as a walking stick and saw a few mixed reviews on them.

I can't seem to find any info on the weight. Also was unsure about the legs being troublesome as a walking stick.

Alaska Lanche - I have a pair of the treking poles and thought about using the attachment or just crossing them but the one issue is the height would work very well for a standing shot for a moose hunt. I think that on a trip like your last one the poles would be the best bet.
    Semper Fi and God Bless

Tried a couple different brands and finally am happy with these:
    http://www.africansc.com/cat_shoot_sticks_10.php
    Tennessee

Quote Originally Posted by Snowwolfe View Post
    Tried a couple different brands and finally am happy with these:
    http://www.africansc.com/cat_shoot_sticks_10.php
    Which ones did you get? Those have got to be the most expensive sticks in the world!!
    Semper Fi and God Bless