View Poll Results: What is a good PrimaLoft Jacket?

Voters
74. You may not vote on this poll
  • Kuiu Spindrift

11 14.86%
  • Sitka Kelvin

6 8.11%
  • Barney's Super Cub

20 27.03%
  • Mountain Hardware Compressor

13 17.57%
  • Patagonia Nano Puff

18 24.32%
  • Rei RevCloud

1 1.35%
  • Militury Surplus

1 1.35%
  • Other

11 14.86%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Which PrimaLoft Jacket?

Default Which PrimaLoft Jacket?

What is the best or preferred PrimaLoft layering jacket for fall mountain hunting?

I have only toyed with the Sitka Kelvin, Patagonia Nano, Kuiu Spindrift, Barney's Supercub, and I own MH Compressor pants. Than said the shell on the Supercub IMO beats out the others as its water/windproof (if you tape the seams). All of them are great jackets. The Kuiu seems a bit thin IMO as does the Nano, but everyones personal prefs are different of course. To me the Supercub struck the right balance in things I wanted out of a jacket. Nope not lighest of the bunch, but offered the most features of what I wanted. Just my .02

I don't have alot of miles on my MH Compressor yet, but I do like it. The draw back is the outer fabric seams thin and I try to baby it over the rocks. No doubt the Barneys "Supercub" is a more robust package.

I've also got a Sitka "Kelvin" vest that I really like. A little heavier fabric than the Compressor. It it came in solid colors it would be perfect.

Personally I just bought the one I could find on sale. I own the MH because it was 50% off in the spring. Light and warm. No regrets so far.

Yk

Overall there isn't any major difference between any of them. Slight differences in shell thickness or overall thickness. Barney's leans more towards the outer wear jacket and the others for layering or sitting around camp. With such minor differences, I would probably go for which ever one I could find a smoking deal on.

I've been using the same REI Spruce Run primaloft jacket for three tough years. I though I would have it destroyed the first year but will be taking it through its fourth hunting season.

Here's a new one from Cabela's. I swear they must have just added it yesterday. This one is 100 gram insulation. Any idea what the SuperCub is?

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cloth...3Bcat104172480

Hands Down..................................The Super Cub !!! I saw more supercub jackets in the Brooks this year, you would think Bob was air dropping them in....lol

Well you're headed down the right trail considering a PrimaLoft jacket. I own the MH Compressor and never leave home without it on a hunt. It's weight to warmth ratio is better than any piece of clothing I own. I find myself wearing that jacket every morning when I climb out of my tent to get ready for the days hunt. You won't regret buying one......That being said I don't think you could go wrong with any of the above mentioned brands, try some on find the one that fits your price range and go for it!

Best of Luck,

RC

I went Nano puff because I didn't want a super heavy jacket (I get hot really easy). Out of the MH Compressor or super cub I would go super cub it seems to have a much tougher shell material. I think all of them are great though and you can't really go wrong.

After this last hunt I love my MH hooded compressor jacket and the pants! With my base layer main layer plus the MH "suit" and rain shell over it I am not sure I needed a tent or sleeping bag. 6000' wind whipping off adjacent glaciers and I was taking a comfy snooze.

Quote Originally Posted by Russp17 View Post
    I went Nano puff because I didn't want a super heavy jacket (I get hot really easy). Out of the MH Compressor or super cub I would go super cub it seems to have a much tougher shell material. I think all of them are great though and you can't really go wrong.
    I voted Nano for similar reasons, I wanted a light weight insulating layer and at 12.5 oz the Nano is light. Doesn't hurt that it was 50% off . If I need to go warmer, my Brooks Range jacket gets the nod.

Well after all my research I made an impulse purchase on a jacket that was not on my list. I almost pulled the trigger on the Patagonia on sale with REI FWIW. Every time I'm in Kenai or Palmer I make sure to check out what is new at Three Bears. Its a great place for ammo and other bargains. Anyway, they have 20% off all hunting clothing right now and I got a Browning Primaloft jacket with zip off sleeves for 85 OTD. I am anxious to get home and weigh it.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

Here is the jacket I found. I like vests so I really like the idea of zip off sleeves even though it adds a little weight and makes a seam for water. This is not my outer layer anyway, so I'm not too concerned about that.

http://www.browning.com/products/cat...04&type_id=823

i have a nonhooded MH compressor that hangs in the closet. i love my Montbell UL Thermawrap Parka. Lightweight and very comfortable. I love it. you won't go wrong with this jacket.

Quote Originally Posted by hre814 View Post
    i have a nonhooded MH compressor that hangs in the closet. i love my Montbell UL Thermawrap Parka. Lightweight and very comfortable. I love it. you won't go wrong with this jacket.
    I have a nonhooded Mb thermawrap that hangs in the closet. It is tight fitting and thin. My hooded Compressor jacket gets the nod

So two questions here. 1) is the military surplus in the choices above the old field jacket liner? If so I must say that after 20 yrs of military service I have come to greatly appreciate the liner in fact having been retired for 8yrs, I still carry mine when out in the field. 2) What is the advantage/disadvantage of Primaloft vs Down. Reason I'm asking is I recently aquired a Patagonia down jacket for a smokin deal at REI-Outlet but if the Primaloft is more superior than I may switch.

Primaloft is just plain good...i don't think it really matters which manufacturers jacket u get. some get colder quicker & require more insulation, some need heavier outer material. pick the jacket that suits your needs & run with it......the crap is good!!

Quote Originally Posted by ihntak View Post
    So two questions here. 1) is the military surplus in the choices above the old field jacket liner? If so I must say that after 20 yrs of military service I have come to greatly appreciate the liner in fact having been retired for 8yrs, I still carry mine when out in the field. 2) What is the advantage/disadvantage of Primaloft vs Down. Reason I'm asking is I recently aquired a Patagonia down jacket for a smokin deal at REI-Outlet but if the Primaloft is more superior than I may switch.
    The down jacket won't insulate when wet, the primaloft will. The down is lighter than the primaloft those are basically the major pros and cons.

Quote Originally Posted by ihntak View Post
    I was talking about the Gen 3 L7 ECWCL jacket like this. Looks like a good jacket, but a little on the heavy side:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ADS-GEN-III-...item27bd6b58ea

Quote Originally Posted by tyrex13 View Post
    I was talking about the Gen 3 L7 ECWCL jacket like this. Looks like a good jacket, but a little on the heavy side:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ADS-GEN-III-...item27bd6b58ea
    The big thing is that they are heavy since durability is as much a requirement as warmth. The lighter packable primaloft are not designed to be worn daily in the field for extended deployments. They are light weight and far more compactable. They are designed to be worn for cold mornings or during low activity periods like glassing or waiting out fog in the mountains. I have never hiked w/ a pack in my primaloft jackets as a merino base layer + my ascent jacket and if needed my rain shell is all I have ever needed. If I am cold a little faster pace usually warms we right up. More weight in the pack and more bulk is a waste of space for something I carry far more than I wear!

p.s. For $75 it may not be a bad deal but I don't have a whole lot more than that in my Compressor jacket since I was patient and waited for a good online sale!

After reading this post and from several recommendations from friends, I picked up a MH Compressor Hooded jacket today for some of my late season hunts. I wore it for several minutes in the store and I could never tell I was even wearing anything (weight wise) except for the growing warmth of the jacket. Now, I am not so worried about those chilly mornings/evenings rolling out of the tent.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast