Thread: Buckmark vs. Ruger 22/45

Default Buckmark vs. Ruger 22/45

Anybody have a preference? We have a little action pistol league up here shooting steel. My son shoots a Ruger MKII .22 and my daughter is now hooked and I need another rimfire auto pistol. I don't have an experience with the Brownings, but I'm always looking to try something new. Pros vs. Cons of each?
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

I've had a Buckmark for about 10 years now and love it. I don't have any experience with the Ruger... The only thing I don't particularly like about the Browning is that it takes tools (small allen wrench) to disassemble for a good cleaning. I found it to be as accurate as any other .22 pistol I've used and more accurate than many.

You can't go wrong with it IMO.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

I have two of the Ruger MKI Ts and a Buckmark. None came with a trigger good enough for competetion. My Rugers are more accurate although I don't know if pinpoint accuracy is needed for steel. My Rugers tend to handle crud better and will continue to work long after the Buckmark has quit from powder fouling crud. For your type of shooting, and if cleaned once in a while, either should work fine. It's more a matter of which one fit your hand and points better for you. Making rapid hits and moving from target to target requires that your pistol points where you are looking with out having to make corrections. Concentrate on the target, close you eyes and bring the gun up. Open your eyes. If you have to make more than minor corrections, the gun doesn't fit you. You can practice enough to make any gun work, but it's a lot easier if it points right for you at the start. You are the only one that can determine whether a gun is right for you or not. Same for your daughter. With luck the new gun won't fit you and your daughter and you can get two. I prefer the Ruger MK series but my hand is probably different than yours. For pros, the Ruger is as reliable of auto pistol as I have ever used and plenty accurate. Cons, both need trigger work.

I got rid of a Buckmark because of the frequent fowling issue, too.

+3 on the buckmark fouling to the point of FTF and FTE....it usually happens just after a few mags worth with mine.... and thats shooting federal premium and CCI... and they REALLY hate anything with the wax....

the browning & the ruger are excellent pistols, capable of good ( read great ) accuracy, are simple to maintain and shoot. i own both and find my ruger is a little more accurate on paper, but my browning has taken more game. either pistol will shoot minute of red squirrel. i would look for the best deal and be happy with the result.......good luck with your new gun!
    happy trails.
    jh

Fouling will be an issue. The day usually entales a minimum of 200 rounds with very little time to clean the pistol. My son's MarkII was having some issues with reliability that we finally traced to magazines last night. I found an internet article on modifying the mags and it cured the issue. We have a Volquartsen trigger in my son's gun and that makes it very nice. I think I'm going to stick with the Ruger for her also. I have a 22/45 and a MKII available, so I will let her run the course with each and see what she likes best.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

I saw a 22/45 with a threaded end cap and a picatinny rail the other day. The shooter had a small red dot sight mounted on the rail and was very happy with it's performance.

I have an old MK-II with a bigger grip, Tactical Solution barrel and Volquartsen trigger. After market mods are widely available for the Ruger, kind of like a Small block Chevy, the sky is the limit.

I have both and use them as suppressor demo guns. Both shoot better than most people. Buckmark is easier to clean since it comes apart and the ruger barrel is screwed into the frame so you must work harder to get it clean. Also, the Browning is a lot more modular so you can change barrels, sights and scope/red dot mounts easier. Can't go wrong with either one!!

Both are good guns and crud will stop the Browning faster. I prefer the Mark II. Most good .22 pistols are accurate.

I have a 22/45 and love it the only thing that I ABSOLUTELY HATED with it is the **** magazine safety disconnect. What a stupid Ideal that you must have a mag inplace to dry fire the weapon prior to dissassembly. On that note it is a very easy removal process you can just replace the hammer bushing with a MKII version or you can do the Whole Volquestrian drop in kit just get the MKII version. Added bennifits of this are the improved trigger pull and the fact that the Magazine will drop free with a press of the mag release, like they should. I shoot every thing from CCI MINI MAGS to REM SUBSONICS and it eats everything. Dissassembly is abit tricky the first few times you do it but no really issue. cant go wrong with either the buckmark has the ruger beat in one spot though and that is the easier ability to swap barrels.

HUNT HARD HUNT SAFE
    WILL

I've owned the MKI,II and III (22/45 included). All are exception .22 pistols. It takes a little getting used to disassembling the MKIIIs but not a dealbreaker. Also look into the Tactical Solution line up.

Add another one to the "frequent fowling issue"group. I love the feel of the Buckmark it is one of the best feeling pistolsout there, and It is accurate.
    I thought I was the only one with real problems with it,2 of my cousins bought the same pistol after using mine when I first got it,before the problems really set in, and they never have any problems withtheirs... mine after a mag or 2 I start to see loading issues, ejecting issues,going into battery issues... When I get back to the states I will be getting aRuger.
    Josh
    Back in Afghanistan, I hope for the last time.

I've had my Buckmark for a little while now. Reason I chose it was it just felt so much better than the Ruger in my hand. The Rugers always felt a block to me. I don't seem to have the same kind of problems other people describe. It will have a couple of FTF/E in every 500 rounds or so if I don't do a quickie clean job. But it really only starts to get cranky if I put more than 500 rounds through without cleaning AND THEN the temps take a major nose dive. There were many dead rabbits and a few ptarmigan that meet their demise this winter due to the Buckmark. All from various ranges, and all tasted great. Especially the rabbit pot pie my wife made!
    -Out-of-State for school, remembering why I love Alaska so much

Buckmarks are the better gun for competition period, just a good Google search will tell you that. Better triggers, better accuracy and better ergonomics. The fact holds true at our local competitions, Buckmarks rule. I have nothing against Rugers, just stating the facts. As for the fouling I have always heard and seen the opposite with Rugers failing more than Buckmarks. My Buckmark has not been cleaned in over 1000rds (of all sorts) and only failures are FTF from ammo. Mine is an older model, so maybe the issue is with newer models? And when will Ruger learn to put the mag release in the right place on their rimfires?

I have aRuger MKI Target and a Buckmark. The Ruger is easily more accurate (both are scoped) has a better trigger and has never in the 40 years and 20/30 thousand rounds failed to feed or fire anything but a bad round. It gets cleaned every few years whether it needs it or not. The Buckmark (bought used) failed to fire frequently when I first got it because of crud keeping it from going fully closed. After cleaning it worked fine for maybe 50/75 rounds when it started to fail to fire again. Without disassembly, a brakekleen sprayout and a quick tooth brushing to the boltface and breech got it working again. A box or so of shells and it was missfiring again. All I can go by is my experience with the two guns and I am underwhelmed with the Buckmark. Ergonomics is a personal thing and only a fact to the person looking at the gun. As far as mag catches go the Ruger is not as easy to use but I have never had a mag fall out because the release button got bumped as I have had happen with other guns. For me the Buckmark s bolt is much more difficult to pull back than the Ruger especially when the trigger has been pulled. I will keep my Ruger but I'll probably keep the Buckmark as well.